It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 am

Clutch setup on V6 
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Clutch setup on V6
Hi all, come across a couple of issue whilst using my newly acquired v6 in anger... The clutch biting point is low, as everything gets hot the bite drops & it becomes almost impossible to get gears. Have been piddling about with it to se what is what & I appear to have the MG ZS slave / bracket etc at the gearbox end (which is rubbish), braided hose as per 1800 Lib & a vertical style master. The digging I have done suggests that this is an MGF sourced item - this does make sense with the measurements I've made...only fly in the ointment is that I've measured the very first part of the master bore (by the circlip) & got around 19mm which suggests a 3/4" master. MGF is apparently 5/8" (just under 16mm). Not sure what was specified for the v6 or even if it was different to the K1.8 engined cars? Anybody know?

Think I will have to reengineer the gearbox end as it's truly awful - plastic slave cylinder, flexy bracket & no bleed nipple!

Cheers Stew.

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Sun May 03, 2015 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Re: Clutch setup on V6
Replying to my own posts....sure sign of madness!

Convinced myself that the master is indeed MGF & therefore 5/8" bore.

Next question.....does anyone know what thread the fittings on the standard GTM clutch hose are?

It's -4 hose so I'm guessing that they are AN-4 fittings which use an M10x1 to AN-4 adaptor at the master & slave ends? Does anybody know if this is the case? I don't want to split the hose on my car as there is no bleed nipple on the slave therefore I can't easily remove any air which maybe introduced.... :cry:

I'm going to source a replacement 3/4" bore slave & make a bracket - the one I'm looking at has the M10x1 threaded inlet so I will need to get an adaptor to go from M10x1 to whatever the GTM hose is hence the question.

As ever any help would be much appreciated.

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Sun May 03, 2015 6:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi Stew,
I remember having this conversation with Guido at a GTM open day years ago, he was prating around with the plastic pig slave cylinder, I told him to use an MGF slave with bracket - don't think he took my advice though.

I would get a second hand bracket and purchase a new slave from Rimmers as you will probably find a second hand one will be full of gunk, The MGF PG1 slave will be (I think) 10 mm UNF so should be compatible with the hose you have, if not you can get an adaptor from Think Automotive (very helpful guys).

Hope this helps

Jamie.

Libra V6
Hawk AC Ace
TVR 3000M
MG ZTT 180
Skoda Fabia VRS
TVR Griffith 400 (coming soon)

Sun May 03, 2015 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I would have gone MGF but the release arm is different which means pulling the box out to swap it which is not really on my agenda at the moment....there is an off the shelf conversion for the R45/ZS but I only want the bracket....waiting to see if they will sell me just the bracket....if not I'll be making one which isn't a big deal but I'm not really setup to make heavy gauge boat anchor style brackets here! Already got the Honda civic slave cylinder to suit.

Taken the plunge & pulled the clutch slave & bracketry off the car. The hose isn't what I thought...I still think that the crimped on end is -4AN but the inline sleeve joint is m12x1 which is a bit annoying as my slave is m10x1...will have to get an adaptor to suit as there isn't enough meat in this one to modify it.

Have used think auto before - they are very good.

Stew.

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Mon May 04, 2015 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well had a fair part of the day making a new bracket to hold a replacement clutch slave...the chappy didn't get back to me from the company who make the kits so I've rummaged around & made something to suit!

It's not pretty but all I could muster up from the bits of steel I had hanging around. That said I don't think that it will break easily......

Just need to get the adaptors for the hydraulic hose. Done some more measuring & the fitting on the car has 37deg cone which suggests JIC/AN rather than the 45deg of SAE. The thread is certainly correct for a AN-4 fitting too.

Hopefully just bleed it up & then enjoy seamless gearchanges....well as much as a PG1 can provide anyway!

Have also changed the gearbox oil too as when I checked the level it seemed to be ATF which isn't ideal. Got some MTF94 equivalent stuff which is actually a green colour, hopefully this will aid the change quality too.

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Last edited by stewb on Tue May 05, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 05, 2015 5:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Fixed your pic for you :wink:

Tue May 05, 2015 5:44 pm
Part built GTM

Source was set to private too...

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Tue May 05, 2015 5:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Got the adaptor today which was a royal PITA....

Had to go from -4JIC to 1/4" BSP, 1/4" BSP female coupler & then a 1/4" BSP to M10x1...

Fitted it up & bled the clutch up with assistance from the good lady....all seems good.

The clutch bites approx 2" off the floor now rather than right at the bottom of the travel so hopefully this will solve my issue. Here's hoping anyway. Good to get rid of the naff plastic slave & flexible bracket in anycase.

I was a little concerned about what going from a 13/16" to 3/4" slave would do to pedal weight, it is slightly heavier but not overly so.

Only really odd thing was that the bleed nipple on the new slave had a 9mm hex....think that's the first time in 10 years I've used the 9mm spanner from my toolkit!

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Wed May 06, 2015 7:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Drove the car last night & what a difference! Transformed the car entirely. Gearchange is super sweet now either going up or down the box & I can get reverse at will now.

It's nice when the toil results in something truly tangeable!

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Thu May 07, 2015 10:33 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Glad you got it sorted :D