It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:08 am

Ford Gt 40 
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Ford Gt 40
As posted elswhere i visited my local bodyshop today. He's just painted a totally unused genuine Gt40 chassis now the property of Gulf, (the chassis is insured for £500,000 :shock:) The story goes that when Gt40 production stopped in the mid-late 60's someone bought most of a car as spares for his racecar, its remained unused in storage untill recently. The engine was stripped to be inspected and seems to have been test run only :lol: One thing that's surprising is the relative crudeness in the fit and finish on the chassis (no worries on the Gtm front then :lol: :lol: :lol:) in fact some places looked as though a hammer was used to make adjustments before assembly :roll: :shock: :?

Also in his workshop was the bodywork for a 72 McLaren sports racer, a local company prepares two of these for clients. Originally 5.0 v8 powered this one is now 7.0 (bored and stroked :?: :?: ) naturally aspirated with f/i and 825bhp 8) 8) and no electronic help with the driving :!: :!: :lol:

Thu May 29, 2008 7:53 pm
GTM delivered

Post Re: Ford Gt 40
You're right about the crudeness of the fit on the chassis, a friend has just finished restoring an original road car chassis and much of that had been 'gently' adjusted to make it fit. The hole car was bowed slightly, and was out of align by a good few mm.

However crude they are put together, they are a work of art even before anything gets bolted to them.

£0.5m sounds a bit much for an unused chassis though. That is the bottom end of the market for a complete car, but without race history.

Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:25 am
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Ford Gt 40
Durbs,
I still think they are one of the most beautifull cars ever built 8) That figure is for insurance purposes while it was at Chris's and also Racing Fabrications who are building the chassis up. A lot of the original satin black had lifted off. I hope Chris gets to spray the body once fitted :)

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:17 pm