It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 pm

GTM Exhaust - flexible joint question 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post GTM Exhaust - flexible joint question
Hi all,

My Libra came with the GTM supplied stainless exhaust system which has cracked around the silencer end plate and separated from the bracket on the outlet side - its a common problem I'm told. The flex pipe is also blowing obviously as well.

I took it to a local firm that makes custom exhausts and they were less than impressed to be fair and will be adding a few strengtheners to try and take the strain off the silencer a bit. They also commented that the flex pipe would appear to be in the wrong place and should be set in the north/south pipe under the engine to allow for engine rock under power etc.

Anyone else found this and had the exhaust modified? He also commented that the bends were very flattened off and could be causing a restriction.

Might get them to put in an additional flex pipe and change the bends to mandrel bent ones to maintain the full bore area. Just wondered if anyone else had done the same before I commit?

Wed May 04, 2016 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Re: GTM Exhaust - flexible joint question
I wasn't impressed with the left hand side mount on the gearbox side of the exhaust, I made a thick steel plate that picked up 2 bolts on the PG1 gearbox and drilled the exhaust mounting on this side and bolted it with 3 M8 bolts, this seems to hold the whole assembly by itself and takes the strain off the right hand side which bolts onto the exhaust manifold and is quite weak and has been known to crack.
This is a V6 exhaust but I'm sure they mount more or less the same, I know what he means by the bends, i don't think the exhaust was really well fabricated though well designed.
I would like to have one made eventually with long primary's and fire order matched across banks I won't bother with flex joints they are a waste of time IMO much better with Spring tension joints, you never see a Le Mans car with a cracked or blowing exhaust. :D

Jamie

Libra V6
Hawk AC Ace
TVR 3000M
MG ZTT 180
Skoda Fabia VRS
TVR Griffith 400 (coming soon)

Wed May 04, 2016 5:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Most Libra (K series) have the exhaust mounted to the engine on pressed stainless steel plates welded to the ends of the can. The exhaust rocks with the engine. The flexi is there due to thermal expansion.

Honda engines I think have the exhaust mounted to the engine frame so the flexi will flex.

I agree though the exhaust isn't very good and the tube diameter is also too small for the VVC engine

I changed my exhaust to 2.25" with nice smooth bends along with a 4 branch manifold. Regarding the flexi I bought the best I could find and it lasted pretty well.

Wed May 04, 2016 6:23 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

That makes sense Roger Ta.

I'll stick with the one flexie being replaced and some beefing up for now (will look at additional stays/brackets a la Jamie). Think I'll get a new system fabricated eventually but I'll get the car on the road and use it a bit first otherwise it'll always be a project! :lol:

Wed May 04, 2016 8:01 pm
Profile E-mail