It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:56 am

Hello 
GTM delivered

Post Hello
Having 98% finished my mini, I'm in the middle of buying this for a little bit more punishment:

I know it's not a GTM (and it's looks are quite challenging), but I thought this might be a good place to find info on all things plastic and RWD.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Hello
What is it, quite like the rear quarter but that Front is quite frankly :shock:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Hi & welcome
Looks like a Nimbus to me. I quite fancied one of these back in the 80's when they first came out. They can't have made too many of them - this must be quite rare! From what i remember these were all fibre-glass, no steel chassis on them?
Must weigh same or less than a Gtm coupe so i guess will be quick (especially if you fit a turbo & 250bhp) :shock:
Look forward to seeing it when its done.
Sven

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:30 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, it's a nimbus. All grp and kevlar construction. There where about 20 kits made. I know of one other complete car, that is owned by the twin brother (will h) of the chap I am buying this off (Ben h).

It has never been registered so needs to go through an IVA. This and the general cost of them these days, discounts the a series for me. I plan to use an mgtf as a donor car. I have plans to sort out some of it's challenging looks, including the front end.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Welcome to the mad house.

Neil

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:44 am
Looking like a GTM

Howdo.

Surely there are better choices than a K-Series given the engineering you'll need to do to get it in there. You might as well make the same effort for something better. Personally I'm a bit of a Zetec fan as they are a bit easier than a V-tec to get hold of and do in stages (start with one from an old Mondeo for practically nothing and the upgrade will fit in exactly the same place with practically no changes). Plus I prefer their characteristics - I'm not into looking for the power up near the rev limiter.

I too like the rear quarters of these - someone posted photo-shopped piccies on here of a Rossa with a sloping rear screen added that looked a hundred times better than standard.

Iain

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:14 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Im drawn to the k series for several reasons.

The first being that if I use the mgtf as a donor for all the major mechanical bits, then it's all fairly straight forward. I just need to fabricate subfrane mounts. The more oem parts I use, the easier the IVA will be. Things like collapsable steering column, relatively strict emissions etc.

It currently has a mini front subframe in the back and a vauxhall viva front axle. Both will need serious modification to put a modern engine into and parts are harder to get these days.

Secondly, I like turbos. Once the IVA is out of the way, the world is my oyster. The general plan is to build a strong 1400 bottom end, a fairly big but efficient turbo (GT2056) on home made manifolds and a decent ecu to run it all. Then go and play on the drag strip and circuits etc.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

Compound charged is the future 8)

or the past if you remember the Group B era :wink:

This is one of my favourite modded cars at the moment, I can't seem to find the build thread that I read but hope this helps....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmscSzFurwg

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 pm
GTM delivered

Nice. My little brother is out in Texas and is looking at getting an Elan +2 to play with. May have to send him that vid. :-)

Don't think I can be bothered to sort that out, the plumbing would be rather complex. My mini is supercharged though. Won't make absolute power, but should drive well. The eventual aim for the pond liner is to make it go very very quickly.

I do have water/meth injection for the mini...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Rossa
looks better then the red nimrod on ebay. like the back end but a bit to square up front for me. good look with it

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Oh dear. Just looked at the nimrod. Some sick came out.

I plan to do something with the front end of the nimbus. The headlights pods will be getting removed and filled in with some projector style head lights. The bonnet will get those big scoop bits deleted in favour of a small vent at the front. Then there's the arches and the front line to sort. Should keep me busy for a while...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Rossa
Sounds like it would look good. Let us know how you get on

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

It will be a while before I get started on it, but I'll put up a build thread if people are interested.

The IVA should be a fun challenge...

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:39 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

It's home :-)

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

Let the fun (TURBO CONVERSION) begin 8)