It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:06 am

later type rear arms. 
GTM delivered

GTM: Libra
Post later type rear arms.
Does anyone have any jigs or drawings for the later type trailing arms. I would like a set but there rare.

Failing that does anyone have a set i can borrow to copy and make my own.

Thanks.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: later type rear arms.
Hi,
I think Westfield had a set without bushes when we went through the stock. There is a thread on here that covers using an alternative bush as the originals seem impossible to get.
Other than that you could try Alan Gow, i think he produced most the metal work. His details will be on here somewhere.
Cheers
Juls

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:58 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

You could try RDM the designers of the newer arms http://www.rdmgroup.co.uk/

I'm still looking for the proper bushes.

Alternatively it should be possible to convert the original arms to use a similar type bush. I thought about this after having got and fitted the new type myself. You'd need to design new brackets, RDM one is basically a U section of steel with webs across and holes drilled for the bush bolts. Then I would cut off the threaded rods from the Land Rover TREs and weld them to pieces of tube (maybe with small webs for strength) into which the bushes would go. Note, I would use BMW bushes which are 57x45x12mm (RDM are 57x40x12mm) as they are readily available.
RDM used cam bolts on the outside bushes to allow for adjustment, but with this mod you could just use the original adjuster nuts that run on the threaded rods.

So long as you keep the pivot points in the same positions relative to the car's bulkhead I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:49 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi

I'm also interested in a set to as my ones are damaged. I emailed Westfield two weeks back requesting the same parts. The reply I got was no longer have these parts in stock and have lost the ability to produce them. My car is only four years old its amazing how quickly you can forget how to make something :| if you find a way of getting them I'll be very interested alternatively i've got one good side that I was intending to use to produce a jig. However the boss has told me I'm not allowed to work on this project until I've finished organising the wedding so I Will not get round to this until the summer :cry:

Thanks
Ray

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking of modifying the originals as I have a spare set that came with the car. Basically replace the landrover ball joint with a poly bush into a channel bolted to the tub as per the later arms.

My business is rebuilding/restoring and running historic racing car's so we have the technology and knowledge to make jigs and make parts. Just no drawing or existing arms to copy!

rawlson-racing.co.uk

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:55 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Forgot to mention wedtfield say they have nothing.

Although at total kit car a westfield employee mentioned they have the moulds which they can get bits made of needed which gives me a little more confidence in using the car.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi drutt,

Converting your old one sounds like a good plan and I'm sure people here will be very interested to see how it turns out. Also have you seen the Z car set up? It's supposed to be good for track use. I'm happy to lend you my good side if you would be willing to sell me a copy of the opposite side. I'm also capable of drawing these parts up if this helps 2d or 3d as I'm a model/prop maker by trade. Also Westfield told me they can produce all the body parts and I was quoted £850 for the front clam plus vat and the same for the rear. On the spyder, so at least the important parts are available.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:17 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I don't think poly bushes will be appropriate for this as the upper arm doesn't move in a single plane. Also FYI see my thread here suspension-woes-of-an-11-year-old-libra-t1760.html for how I modded the new (upper) arms to fit the standard GTM wheels.

SAS

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:49 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Ive seen the z cars set up but its pricey (as it should be) but and an engineer and racing car preparer id rather do something myself.

If you feel you can accurately draw your undamaged one i can accept 2d or 3d cad files and then make new parts for people if required. Also mounting on the bulkhead would be required.

Does anyone have the drawing for the pg1 gearbox mount adaptoe. Could do with one of those too.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:56 pm
Profile E-mail