It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

Libra yellow colour code and headlamp covers?? 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Libra yellow colour code and headlamp covers??
Hi all,

So I picked up my new beastie yesterday (thanks Tim) and so begins the process of fetteling it to my satisfaction and not getting it on the road for years :D :D

Couple of immediate things that need sorting (apart from a new head gasket) are a new near side headlamp cover and sort out a couple of big chips in the gelcoat.

Firstly, as I'm sure that headlamp covers are as rare as rocking hoarse s**t with hens teeth stuck in it, what are my best options? Try Westfield or is there an alternative?

If anyone has has a spare for an original style front clam near side I'd be happy to buy it.

Next is yellow gelcoat for some chip repairs, does anyone know the colour code?

Lastly, I apologise in advance for the bombardment of stupid questions I will undoubtedly be asking in the coming months.

Thanks

Jamie

Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:26 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Libra yellow colour code and headlamp covers??
For a start, I wouldn't bother with Westfield - in my limited experience, the chance of a reply is small, the chance of being able to get what you require even less. I am looking at trying to make headlight covers myself - if I have any success, I shall undoubtedly brag about it. Best of luck with the colour matching. If the chips are small, you might have more luck with some 2k paint - a decent autopaint supplier should be ably to give you a decent match, and in the past I have used a small paint brush to build up layers of paint until the chips are filled.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:25 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I heard that Westfield were less than enthusiastic about helping with GTM parts but I gave them a ring anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised and they couldn't have been more helpful. One chap promised to have a look and ring me back and, low and behold, he did and I've bought the last pair it seems - result!
Now I can't be sure they will be the correct type or be in perfect nick but I've got everything crossed :D If they don't fit my car I'm sure someone else will be willing to have them off me.

The bodywork chips are a different matter as they definitely need gel coat (too big / complex to build up with paint). I'm going to do some research and will let you know if I get a result.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

You can get gelcoat filler.
Try East Coast Fibreglass Supplies
This will not be the right colour but can be overpainted

Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:08 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi all,

In case anyone is interested, I found a gelcoat kit on ebay that is a really good match for the Libra yellow, not 100% but pretty darn close. I've used it to fill in some big chips and once you flat and polish its hard to notice where you've filled.

Item number is 252057095341 or if that doesn't work its Mouldcraft golden yellow gelcoat. Less than a tenner for a decent sized pot - result!

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:41 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
How long does gel coat keep? Does it need to be mixed with hardener or does it set in the air?

Reason I ask is that digging through the boxes of bits that accompanied my Spyder I found a couple of old 35mm film canisters (remember them??) and inside they are both full of red gel coat. It is still soft and smells strongly so I'm hoping it is still okay - a miracle after 12 years! Consistency is like putty/plasticene. Can I just knife this into chips and let it set then rub down/polish?

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:58 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Sanz,

I've used gelcoat quite a bit over the years and its usually quite runny so not sure if yours will still be ok?? Sound like it may have 'gone off' a bit.

You will need an catalyst for sure as gelcoat is a 2 pack process.

Have a look at the ebay shop I bought my gelcoat from - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/quantum-teknic ... 7675.l2563 - they have catalyst for not a lot of money but you could always by a red gelcoat pot with catalyst as I did and give it a go. You could use the catalyst to try and activate your old gelcoat as well, worth a shot for less than a tenner delivered. Its good stuff, I've been well impressed with it :D

Having a quick look at the site the 'Signal Red' looks a likely candidate :idea:

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:26 pm
Profile E-mail