It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:14 am

MGF Cable Change Cable Lengths 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post MGF Cable Change Cable Lengths
Hi All,
I'm trying to get as much prep done as possible before I do my engine and gearbox swap. As part of the swap I'm also converting to MGF cable change. I have the selector and cables from a '98 MGF. I'm planning to alter the selector frame to make it more like the GTM bracket i.e. cut off the side flanges. I've heard that the short MGF cable is a bit too short but I'd like to know by how much? I'm thinking that I'll extend the cables at the linkage bracket end. The MGF bracket has outer cable attachments front and back so I thought I would cut the front one off and use the bits cut off the side flanges to fix the former front cable mount to the back a bit further back to attach the cable outers. I can then easily extend the cable inners with M6 stud connectors and a bit of 6mm threaded stud.

What I'd like to know is how much I'd need to extend the outer mounting point to get the short cable long enough. A very crude measurement (as I've still got the R65 box and rattle rod change on the car) suggests it only needs to be about 50-60mm longer. I could always wait until I've got the new engine and PG1 installed and then measure it properly but I'm thinking that if I err on the long side I can always take out the slack with a few gentle bends.

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Re: MGF Cable Change Cable Lengths
Your measurements seem about right I used standard mgf cables and made a threaded tube with two female threads screwed the end off the original cable screwed my extender on to the cable and threaded bar in the other end and put the end back on.
Job done, hope the makes sense.
You will need to use the 1.4 metro engine mount on the bigger engine.
Seem to remember that I also needed new gearbox mount and exhaust bracket.
You also fit a engine steady to the 1.8 engine at drivers side as the one to the r65 gearbox no longer fits althought I did make a bracket up and have both on my car.
Matty

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:20 pm
Profile E-mail