It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

MGF Gear Change Spring 
On the Road

Post MGF Gear Change Spring
I've asked on my project thread but this may get more views

My tired libra has come to me and has lost the spring from the MGF gearchange, hence it doesn't return well and feels pretty horrible. I can't replace it because I don't know how, as it never had one in the first place

I've looked on some build threads and can't find anything, so does anyone have a picture? And if not would anyone be kind enough to take a picture of theirs?? After all it's only a case of removing about 6 self tappers on the gear lever surround and it should be in full view?? Unless I'm missing something and the spring goes underneath

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:24 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: MGF Gear Change Spring
Hi,
From memory it goes underneath.
Cheers
Juls

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:16 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Is it some kind of torsion spring bolted to the mechanism?

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:37 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Having googled it I don't see any obvious springs for stick centering.

SAS

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:38 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Yes, underneath I think, won't get it fitted from the top.
I don't have a picture but here are the instructions given by GTM for my build, for what its worth the springs were just coil tension springs trying to pull the mech back to centre, I thought they were pretty rubbish! I changed to the elise mechanism which doesn't have any springs the gear box is more than enough to bring it back,i guess that's because the cables might have less resistance?:

CABLE GEAR CHANGE ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS

The process to modify the MGF cable gear change assembly to fit into the GTM is as follows:

Important: Do not fit the cables before fitting the fuel tank!

Remove the gear lever gimbal from the MGF bracket assembly and then fit this into the bracket T2099 supplied from GTM using the fixings provided. Remove the counter weight completely as close to pivot as possible ( The pivot bolt head may need grinding slightly if it impedes movement in T2099 ). Drill a 4mm or 5mm hole in fore/aft moving plate of the MGF part approx ½ way between the spring holding legs on T2099. Use an M4 or M5 nut/bolt in this hole to provide the centre fixing of the two springs T2100 and then connect each spring to each leg on T2099. The springs provide the return for the gear lever to centre/neutral position. Drill a 70mm diameter hole, 610mm forward from datum (see location drawing supplied). The gearlever should be positioned in the centre of this hole and the fixing bolts to retain it in position should be 35mm from the top face of the tunnel. (Note: Use the bracket as a jig to mark the hole positions at 35mm from the top face )
Next remove the ball joint from the short cable at the gear box end and fit extender rod T2097 and then re-fit the ball joint.
The long cable attaches to the gear lever end on the ball which is next to the springs and the short cable to the other ball.
After the petrol tank has been fitted pass both cables under the tank (Note: Secure them to the water pipes with tie wraps). The long cable goes over the gear box and the short cable goes under. Fit the cables to the gear box bracket T2098 before fitting the bracket to gearbox.
Finally clamp both the cables to the gear lever bracket T2099 using bracket T2096 and using 2off MG Rover UYC 10006 clips.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

try google ricola gtm build then look at page 5 for pictures of bracket and page 6 for picture of springs fitted. I have Honda engine with mgf parts at lever end but my gearbox was cable change in civic it came from I think yousr would have been rod in donor car then converted buy gtm to cable

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Seen the pic, looks easy enough to replicate! Cheers

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:07 pm
Profile E-mail