It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 am

MR2 Rossa? 
Part built GTM

Post MR2 Rossa?
Hello

I spotted an MR2 powered coupe on the internet and i just wondered if anyone knew what was involved in the conversion ie what parts need to be re engineered fabricated etch in order to fit one into a coupe ad if a similar conversion could be done in a rossa?

Regards

Darryl

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:27 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: MR2 Rossa?
Hi, welcome to the nuthouse :lol:

Phil (Pantera) is probably your man. The build thread is in members cars, it's only possible to view if you're a paid up member (one of the perks :wink: )

Tim

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:44 am
Part built GTM

Ah great thankyou :) ive been pondering this for a while initially i wanted a bike engined Rossa but the cost of large bike engines dry sumps and chain drives etch appear to be going up daily so its quickly becoming a very expensive option ive got a gsxr 600 engine sat to one side but thats not got anywhere near enough oomph so after doing a bit of pondering the MR2 layout seemed to fit the bill, How do i go about becoming a fully paid member and how much does it cost?

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:56 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

Club membership here joining-and-renewing-t78.html

You've opened a can of worms now :lol: I've no doubt other ideas will pop up (Neil :?: )

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:05 pm
Part built GTM

Thankyou and yes ive no doubt more ideas will probably surface before anything actually gets built :? more importantly i need to find a tatty rossa first as is usually the way when you want something it cant be found :( but im sure something will come up eventually, i,ll be sure to get the application form filed and sent asap.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hey there.

Not a good choice - especially in a Rossa - there are severe bulkhead clashes even in a Coupe. I'd look at other options if I were you.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:51 pm
Looking like a GTM

Seem to remember back along there was an unfinished project on ebay, bike engine in front and sierra diff in the back - it's one solution.

Allen

Still threatening to put a zetec SE in my rossa (no real progress).

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:21 pm
Part built GTM

Ok I appologise if this is covered elsewhere on the site but is there a definitive list of what engine conversions can be done?

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Converted Rossas are rare - even by coupe standards.

Thing is that the bulkhead in front of the engine is moulded to fit around the a-series - and that means bulkead chopping to fit anything else - unless it's a miniscule bike engine etc.

To my mind, it'd be a slightly pointless exersise as you could just buy a K3

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:01 pm
Part built GTM

yeah funnily enough there is a red k3 for sale on ebay at the moment and its only down the road but its the 1.4 single point injection model i believe all of the k series engines fit including the 1.8vvti ?

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Absolutely. Anywhere a 1.4 will fit, the VVC will also fit - it's basically the same engine beit with a bigger head.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 am
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

If I was to do it.

full cage, remove the rear glass boxes, create you my own rear spacframe tied into the cage, Fit what ever enigne I would want. the rossa from memory has lots of room behind the drivers seat, so any bulkhead modifications should be possible.

With teh chassis being a FG monoque I would tie it all together with a cage as we know rossa do suffer from a little bit of flex.

There was a peugeot 205 1.9 GTi engine rossa II done and these are quite large for a 4 pot.

Neil

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 am
Part built GTM

Thankyou thats just the encouragement i needed :) will hopefully be buying the car very soon

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

As long as you have enthusiasm, drive, and some good engineering, or access to some help in this area anything is possible. there were many a times during my first engine conversion where I had to walk away as I was sure it would never fit, A D16 Honda into a Coupe. Then I took it a step further B18 in a Coupe which is physically a bigger engine.

It is tight :!: and when installing the engine it has to be at the exact right angle otherwise it wont go in. get the lifting chains/sling set right and it drops in on my own, get it wrong and the air turns blue :lol:

I like engineering challenges, it helps being quite handy with my hands too, I know of a Rossa that has started along the D16 conversion and Richard way, and he seemed quite postive it would fit and we have talked about how to do it, very simular to above, reminds me have to find out how he is getting on i think he may have stalled a little

Neil

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:54 pm
Part built GTM

Last edited by dcrosby13 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail