It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am

OldShep's Libra 
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Post OldShep's Libra
Whilst ferreting around trying to establish what engine mounts were used on the V6, I decided to change the oil and filters as I have no record of when this was last done - oil looked pretty clean but at least I know its done now.

Then I thought I'd change the fuel filter as I happened to have a new one in my "Stock" and it's often overlooked.
Couldn't get the bottom fixing off while it was on the car so I decided to disconnect it where it goes into the rubber feed pipe from the tank. I was prepared for it to dump its contents as I did so but nothing came out, a bit odd I thought.
The following pictures show the reason - I'm surprised it was running at all!

First pic is what drained out of the filter when I managed to remove the connector, after it had settled overnight.
Second & third pics show the blocked pipe as it came off the car.
Fourth pic shows the crud that I removed from the pipe, it was really rammed in there.

Previous owner had the tank out to replace the fuel pump and said the tank wasn't rusty, so I have no idea where all this came from. Maybe he was mistaken or perhaps it was already blocked on the donor car when it was fitted to the Libra? Who knows, the only way to be sure is to remove the tank which I hadn't planned on doing any time soon..............
Anyway, I pumped some fuel through the line before i connected the new filter and a bit of additional crud came through but hopefully that was what was backed up against the blocked pipe. I'll run with the new filter for a while then strip it down again and see what's happened.

If you haven't changed your filter for a while you might want to give it some thought..............

Attachments:
crud4.jpg
crud4.jpg [ 126.24 KiB | Viewed 2608 times ]
crd3.jpg
crd3.jpg [ 62.96 KiB | Viewed 2608 times ]
crud2.jpg
crud2.jpg [ 191.79 KiB | Viewed 2608 times ]
crud1.jpg
crud1.jpg [ 673.83 KiB | Viewed 2608 times ]
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: OldShep's Libra
My goodness, that's a lot of dirt. Can you get an endoscope into the tank to see how clean it is? You can pick them up on Amazon for about £20+

Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:36 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
That is a bit scary. I can't help wondering where it came from. I was always told not to fill up from a filling station that has just had a delivery as it stirs up all the crud from the bulk storage tanks but thought that must be an old wives tale. Looking at that maybe not. I haven't touched my fuel filter ever so maybe its time!

Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Bloomin eck.

I think a look at my fuel filter is next job :)

Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Endoscope! What a good idea, why didn't I think of that - I've even got one of the old sort you connect to a PC here somewhere.
I'll let you know what it shows........

Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

The more modern ones are usually MUCH better. I have one of these and it's waterproof:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inspection-BEV ... C66&sr=8-8

My old one is only 640 x 480 which makes the video look like 1970's computer game graphics! 1080p is a lot better.

Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I gave up on my old Maplins 640x480 PC USB jobbie - the flex wasn't very flexxy and the quality was rubbish anyway.
Found one that connects to my phone which was much better but couldn't get it far enough into the tank via the filler to show what's in there - might have to shell out for the one in your link Nik. I was a bit twitchy about shoving something with volts inside the fuel tank but the IP67 rated one should be safe enough.

Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:26 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Fuel leak & gearbox mount
Finally found the source of the strong smell of fuel after fill-ups and at other apparently random times.
As the smell was so strong inside the car I first dismantled the trim to check all the internal connections from the fuel filler, vent pipe, etc.
The rubber filler hose was visibly cracked, porous and smelly, so I replaced that with some E10 compliant and thought I'd fixed it but no, still smelly.
With the car up in the air there was an obvious problem - the piece of rubber pipe about 4" long which connects the metal filler pipe to the tank was
not seated properly onto the tank inlet, so was leaking any time fuel was at that level e.g. when filling, on an incline, accelerating, etc. Repositioned
and tightened the jubilee clip properly so hopefully its now sorted.......only time will tell.

Also replaced the gearbox mount (standard MGF) which was soft and visibly distorted.
Supporting/raising the gearbox with a jack takes the pressure off the mount so you can set about removing the two bolts holding the mount in place
and the long bolt that passes through it to attach it to the engine frame.
The engine frame bolt was easy enough but it's a bit of a fiddle removing the mount bolts - you can't get a spanner on the nuts at the bottom due to
the proximity of the surrounding bracketry and you can only get about 1/4 turn at a time on the bolts heads for a similar reason, so it took a while.
Just as well I did it though as it fell apart as I took it off and the new one has definitely reduced engine vibration.

Attachments:
20220324_123633.jpg
20220324_123633.jpg [ 890.79 KiB | Viewed 2234 times ]
20220324_123623.jpg
20220324_123623.jpg [ 687.96 KiB | Viewed 2234 times ]
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:26 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

I'd be interested to see how/where that attaches to the engine cradle/frame. Seems to be completely different from how it mounts on 4 cylinder Libra/Spyders.

Glad you got it sorted.

Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Me too, v interested to see the gearbox side mountings.

Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Tied up tomorrow but I'll put some pics up Monday.

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post V6 Gearbox mount pics
A few pics of the V6 gearbox mount, as promised.

It has what appears to be a GTM-fabricated mounting bracket bolted to the gearbox, onto which the rubber mount itself is bolted.
The rubber mount then hangs from a long bolt through the engine cradle.

As you can see, I'm yet to tackle the long and dirty job of refurbing the engine cradle - haven't worked out the best way to do this without removing the engine, just slapped Waxoil over it for now.
Am I the only one who isn't impressed with the durability of powder coating?
Seems to me that once the surface is broken rust travels under the skin at an alarming rate, or is this down to the quality of the powder coating process?

Attachments:
Thumbnail 3.jpg
Thumbnail 3.jpg [ 83.03 KiB | Viewed 2161 times ]
Thumbnail 5.jpg
Thumbnail 5.jpg [ 83.54 KiB | Viewed 2161 times ]
Thumbnail 6.jpg
Thumbnail 6.jpg [ 64.48 KiB | Viewed 2161 times ]
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:01 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Wow, that is very different to the 4 cylinder version. I guess it must be a completely different engine cradle frame too. looks like the gearbox mounting point is directly under the main frame rail rather than slightly inside. Interesting use of the MGF mount inverted suspended from above.
This is how it looks in the 4 cylinder one
Attachment:
Stoneleigh1.jpg
Stoneleigh1.jpg [ 286.51 KiB | Viewed 2148 times ]

My experience of powder coat isn't great too. I agree that the slightest damage and then it all flakes off. At least with paint it can be touched up locally. IMHO for things that aren't on show a good thick coat of high build paint is hard to beat.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:07 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Quote:
My experience of powder coat isn't great too. I agree that the slightest damage and then it all flakes off. At least with paint it can be touched up locally. IMHO for things that aren't on show a good thick coat of high build paint is hard to beat.

I have boxes of parts that i was going get powder coated but you make a good point
About paint can be touched up

Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:48 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

If I had that lot off the car I would probably just pay someone to sandblast it and then paint it myself, that way I could control materials, number of coats etc.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:07 am
Profile E-mail