It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:56 am

rossa project. 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Rossa
Post rossa project.
yay i have my Rossa today to keep me busy for a while. Thanks mike for delivering it. It currently has stripped out interior but engine and subframes are built and ook to have been done using new parts, the body cleaned up ok but im repainting when i get the boot, bonnet, doors and roof to fit. pictures coming soon via phtobucket.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: rossa project.
photobucket link is http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o312 ... 20project/
can any one look at the pictures of the roof and suggest why it doesnt fit. it looks like it fitted at some point as there is a strpie that goes all the way over the car. the bavk of the roof fits perfect onto the body but the front seems to be out by 1/2 inch over to the right. i took the rear screen out to try it again as the glass is cut bad (think the glass cutter had one too many.) and was stuck on rubbish, made no difference.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

How well does the front screen fit?

Don't know how long the front screen hasd been out but could the front screen frame have twisted in storage?

Hard top, if it's anything like mine (MKII) it's very, very beefy, would be unlikely to twist or distort.

Anything to do with the thin foam seal that runs round the rear?

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:48 pm
Looking like a GTM

the foam seal has been removed, i thought also that it could be the window pillars, i dont know how long the screen has been out. would i be able to twist back with slight pressure applied over time if that is whats wrong? i will try holding the screen in postion tomorrow and see if the apature is warped.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

just been to look again. tried window and something wasn't quite right. i put hoist around windscreen pillar and gently ulled it up. near perfect fit. im going to leave it a few days and see if it stays there. do you think i would be better to bolt and bond te roof on permenantly if it pulls it back?

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Certainly, if you bolt and bond the roof you will end up with a stiffer tub and less leaks - but no open air motoring :mrgreen:

I'm considering doing this - fitting one peice guttering and possibly a glass sun hatch.

You could try warming up (not realy hot) the pillars whilst stressing them the way you want them to go.

Suspect that screen was removed and something leaned against the pillar?

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 pm
Looking like a GTM

cheers. i'll seehow it goes when i take pressure off. i might direct a fan heater at it tomorrow. it should warm it slightly but not too much. i still might fix roof just so it doest move again. shame really as i like it with roof off and have a soft top for it too. i can get stuck in once roof fits, everything else is just a case of adjusting hinges to get better shut lines. sun hatch sounds like a good compramise, have you seen any done and do you think it would be easy enough.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:10 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Sun hatch should be easy enough - though it will reduce the clearance between head and roof a little. Years ago it was common to see sun hatches fitted to coupes, perhaps someone can tell us all about that?.

Bought a new/old stock sun hatch for £15 at Stoneleigh last year, not yet fitted.

I suspect the overall weight will be reduced with a sun hatch - not joking :!:

I have no soft top - like hens teeth and could not justify the £600 plus to buy a new one (I believe currently available from Rossa Bits - for the K3, and eventually for the Rossa).

Should you go the bonding route I would imagine your soft top could be worth £300 or more - just a thought.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:44 pm
Looking like a GTM

I have bonded my roof on and am in the process of fettling gutters and the such like, I won't be fitting a sun roof. I did drive the car around with a soft top for about 18 months but to tell the truth we rarely removed it for open top motoring as it was a pain to do quickly (and we have an mgf for that anyway). Also at speed it would "flap" a bit, ok for legal speeds should we say BUT!!!
I sold the soft top.
Looks like there will be a few Rossa's with fixed roofs soon, and I thought mine was going to be the only one. :lol:

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:59 pm
Looking like a GTM

its a shame but i had a guy from a body look at it and as i thought the only real way is to solid fit the roof. i dont think i will fit a sun roof though.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

just had a thought but may be well off.......... if the hilos are not set right would it twist the car slightly out of shape?

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

It is a thought, tub is not that stiff without the hardtop fitted. A quick measure of ride height just in front of rear wheels and just behind the front should reveal all - if garage floor is flat :D

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 pm
Looking like a GTM

back and front parts are now removed. lots of work to do as most mounting points have been pulled through. need to get a pair of hilos for front as they are only fitted on back, also need new rubber springs for front as it is more than an inch too low. should have engine out and subframes off by next week so i can sit the main tub on a pallet to see if i can save it, still not got roof to fit yet.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

i now have the front, rear, roof and doors removed. the engine /subframe are ready to come out. The hoist i have has got the weight of the engine and subframe but does anyone have any tips to remove the body as i cant get my jack under it, plan A was to lift the body with a scaff plank under it and roll the subby out the back with the help of the hoist.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:48 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I lifted the back of the car up complete with engine using a plank and two trolley jacks under the body and took the wheels off. I then lowered the car as far as it would go so that the sump sat on to a trolley I made using castors ex ebay and layers of old timber to make it high enough. Then I undid everything and jacked the body up so that I could roll the engine/subframe assembly back. It worked fine but the engine was a bit unstable on the trolley and at one point the whole lot started to run away down the garage :shock: :lol: .......should have bought castors with brakes :roll: I'm afraid I didn't take any photos of this but I hope it makes some sort of sense.....

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 pm
Profile E-mail