It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Dermot's hillclimb R1 coupe 
GTM on order

Post Re: Dermot's hillclimb R1 coupe
Hi Dermot,
Imagine my surprise to see your coupe being modified as I actually built this car with my brother back in the early 80's
I and my pal Eric drilled both subframes, it took ages and many drill bits and cutting fluid !
My brother and I modelled all the bodywork and made moulds of same [a foul job] as it was 6'' lower and considerably wider than standard.
It raced with a variety of A series engines finally a 1460cc all steel approx125bhp @ 8k.
I raced it for four years eventually winning the brscc GT championship and posting a lap record for the category @oulton and cadwell. I have some pics of it i can post at some stage if you wish. I also finished 9th fastest overall albeit in the rain
at blackpool sprint. [close to my home]
Originally we made an aluminium rollcage but at the time I sold it these were banned by MSA.
The car weighed 420 kilos wet, not bad with iron A series engine !
More to follow, have to prepare dinner just now !!
regards Iain

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Welcome Iain 8)

Neil

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:59 pm
Where is my Number Plate?

Welcome :D

I spoke to a previous owner who used to hillclimb this car before Dermow took ownership, been watching its progress ever since. 8) 8)

Looking forward to the pictures :wink:

420KG :?: :?: I've got along way to go yet then :oops:

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:04 pm
Part built GTM

Hi Iain

At long last the very man i have been searching for. :D I have been searching for past owners and history of the car since i bought it. Never imagined i would find the man who built it. I'm getting a book of photos and history together to go with the work that i'm doing to it. So any pictures and race results etc ..would be most welcome. Good to finally hear from you.

Cheers
Dermot

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:28 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Hello fellow coupe fans,
Apologies for the blunt introduction yesterday to your forum,I was just so surprised to see the car, and even better used in competition ! They are still a great car aren't they ? :D
It may be a while before you see pics and result sheets as I will have to go in the attic to recover them and then persuade lovely wifey to do the necessary as I'm poo with computers.
When we first tested @ Croft circuit, Autosport scribe in and I rolled down attendence was so impressed we got several columns in his mag along with the then new F1 Arrows ! ! I cant say it was an instant success, lots of stability problems, always a problem with such a short wheelbase and sticky slicks,suspension geometry shortcomings front+rear, and damper dynamics.
Eventually I resolved most if not all by studying and applying An American programme on the subject over two seasons which transformed it from a quite scary projectile into a safe quick circuit car. I think the best mod was the use of coil springs as I spent hours in the lathe shaping those bl...dy rubber so called springs, I still have many of the failures somewhere !
I'm sure Dermot can confirm that I dont believe in carrying anything round the circuit that I don't need and creature comforts were non exsistant.
I almost forgot to mention that the first car we built was written off at Oulton at Old Hall when an errant SD1 tapped me into a spin. It stood up very well even though it was built from a rusty floor pan,so I know what some of you guys are going through re fabbing those panels.This has taken my evening so more tomorrow if thats ok ?
best regards Iain

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi Iain

Any joy searching through your attic? i'm Itching for some pics and info.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15 am
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Hi Dermot,
Unfotunately for my progress in my attic search my 26yr old son has just moved back in for a few years ! ! with piles of junk
but plenty will end up in the attic which gives me a good opportunity to rummage, so hopefully when my wife returns from her holiday in Vietnam we will get picture posted here though I have loads to go through even its initial build in my lockup.
Must say it still looks very good tho I personally doubt the space available in the wheelbase will allow you to fit a bike engine
because as you have doubtless discovered the space req'd is considerable ! I have installed a few Hayabusas in Darrians and a Westfield xtr and it is quite a task to engineer from scratch In fact my spaceframe Darrian still runs one,but I much prefer chain drive to gear cases.Enough woffle will sort pics as soon as ,
Regards,
Iain.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see some of those pics. i agree with you about the difficulty of fitting the engine in. Maybe some of the people reading this who are wondering why it's taking me awhile to get right will understand the size of the task i have taken on. If only there was a shoe horn big enough. :)

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Had a thought, a guy used to race a space-frame imp and he had a chaincase that allowed the fitting of the diff
infront of the rear of this chaincase,difficult to imagine but I shall try to find some detail of the installation but it will be 4-5 weeks before he's out racing again most likely. It may be of help to you.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Hello, great looking project. I'm interested to see how you get on with the promotive kit. I'm considering one for my Rossa. I've watched the Z-Cars dvd, but the idea of keeping a basic mini subframe appeals to me.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I was getting bored with the lack of progress on my car so i went ahead and started trial fitting the rear wing. Think i need to make up some brackets to mount it from the very back of the car.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Any more news? Any progress with your Cox Dermot?

Hope your over your bordom.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:30 am
Part built GTM

Just back from a holiday in Malaga feeling refreshed ready to tackle my coupe again.
I have decided to give the drivebox another go, so i'm sending it back to DRD racing to change cogs
inside the drivebox which also means changing the casing for a larger one. This will change the setup from a rear facing engine mounted at the back to a forward facing mid mounted engine. So while the box is away i will be cutting the bulkhead and roll cage to make room so expect some pics shortly.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail

bottom of the page on the right :wink: .........not sure if you'd seen this..........

......... http://www.lynxae.co.uk/Products-MiniR1.htm

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:54 pm
Part built GTM

First time seeing this one.
Looks good but a little pricey. 8)

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next