It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 am

Hello and a few questions please 
GTM delivered

Post Hello and a few questions please
Hello folks out there, a little about me and why I am here. I consider myself a car nut but on a limited budget due to wife kids etc. My pride a joy is a 2006 MGZT V8 which has a Kenne Bell supercharger. This provides fun and can cover the family aspects when four seats are needed. My everyday transport is a Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi sportsvan. This I use to commute to work, a round trip of 130 miles a day.

Now my questions, I am thinking of replacing the van with a gtm. Reasons love the looks and it seems to allow fun and 30-40 mpg. Am I nuts? I had a look at the 2.5 Libra on e-bay and thought of placing a bid. Now because of this I made a insurance enquiry. I was not happy with result. The mileage limit was 7k for the sum of £715. I am 47 married 10 years NCB and live in Cumbria. My MG is on classic insurance 5k limit with all mods disclosed and this is only costing £290 with the car valued at £10k. The van is less than £300 with mileage allowance at 30k.

Is there anyone who will insure for 30k? I would consider any hard top GTM that could be run to suit my needs. The lovely little red coupe that belongs to Andy is also calling.

All comments welcome

Cheers Steve.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Hello and a few questions please
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum and hopefully GTM ownership. I ran a V6 Libra that I built for quite a few years and it is very reasonable as long as you don't spend most of the time with your right foot planted - easily 30 mpg. The size of the tank is a bit of a pain as it doesn't give much range although a number are fitted with custom made ali tanks with much improved capacity. I couldn't fault it for long distance work, very comfortable and relaxed yet fun when you need it - it knocks spots off the Elise in my opinion.

For insurance I used and still use for my Coupe MSM Insurance - £300 to £400 was what I was paying back in 2006 before I sold the car, currently paying about half this on my Coupe.

Regards

David

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Steve

Just to add some context - MSM Insurance was the "approved" provider back in the Peter and Paddy days before GTM fell into the hands of RDM Automotive and then Westfield. They have a long association with GTM and still cover quite a proportion of the owners. You could also try Adrian Flux and others but I have always found MSM the best.

David

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks I will have a look there and see what they can do. I have been looking at GTM's for a long time. I fact I requested a brochure from GTM on the Libra around 2003 which I still have. I was however involved in a RTA just after this which diverted my attentions some what. This took me towards rather more sturdy cars for a while but as my memory has faded so my infatuation with GTM's has been re-kindled.
If I can find a reasonable quote I will be joining the fold.
The ford van is a great little mode of transport nippy 60mpg and I have covered 81k in the last 3 years but life is short and some things should be sampled!!!

Thanks again.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:59 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Mr Mac wrote:
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum and hopefully GTM ownership. I ran a V6 Libra ...........

I've just reinsured it :!: 160-00 for 5000 miles with Graham Sykes in Devon

Age 50+ (that is plus quite a lot) - 0 points - 0 NCB - 2nd car - based essex/east london (RM13)

One question they asked was kit car driving experience - maybe this and the miles are jacking up the quote?

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:20 am
GTM delivered

Got a quote back from A.Flux for 2005 1.4 Spyder £260 30k miles me the good lady. Now hunting. If I find the car for me I will be joining as a full member.

Steve.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I am going to view a Spyder on friday. Its a funny world I always wanted a Libra but I have got the bug bad now. I now think if a Libra came on the market it would be a second choice!!

Here's hoping this is the right car for me.

Steve

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Now a paid up member when do I get access to the members exclusive area?

Oh and I am in the process of buying a car so will soon be a paid up owner into the bargain.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Well done Steve - which one did you buy - is it Brian's daughters (of TGTM)?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Mr Mac wrote:
Well done Steve - which one did you buy - is it Brian's daughters (of TGTM)?

Not bought yet going down tomorrow to collect a car. I am on a secret mission as I was burnt with the white Libra in Edinburgh.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I am now owner of a lovely red Libra bought from a member on here (Paul Fontain). This one :P

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=red+GT ... owE&zoom=1

Happy days 600miles of which 170miles were in the GTM travelled by car yesterday and a 5 hour train journey from Penrith to collect the car. Set of at 05:00 Saturday back home 01:15 Sunday.

Once rested I will be back on.

Steve.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:57 am
Profile E-mail