It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am

Congratulations and advice please 
GTM delivered

Post Congratulations and advice please
First off, Yippee!!! The Blue car (ex atnova) passed its MOT., mostly due to my amazing skill in fitting new handbrake cables correctly, instead of the stupid cock-up some garage charged someone a lot of money for about five years back. The handling is still definitely rubbish, thanks to the wheels pointing elsewhere than where they should, and the dampers being knackered, but things are improving by gradual degrees. Poco poco, as my Cuban friends say.

The exhaust system is one of those which should have a replaceable flexible joint in it, though some worse-bodger-than-me has put a grotty bit of spiral "flexipipe" in its place - this it okay pro tem, but is scarcely desirable. My question is, who is recommended as a supplier for a proper replacement - I've looked at a few, but most seem to have the flex- bit in the wrong place, or too large of diameter. Help appreciated.

Now, please excuse my ignorance (there is no shortage of it), but what are the relative advantages or otherwise of 2.25" diameter damper springs compared with 1.9"? Obviously, the narrower ones have less clearance limitations, but what are the other considerations. I ask because I have some unused Avos, which are fitted with the narrower springs - the latter will need replacing, as they are original 1998 GTM supply, and therefore too feeble (according to this forum).I know Avos are not everybody's glass of Pilsner, but I have them, and a set of springs would only be a hundred quid, which is a lot less than a new set of Protecs complete with springs.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:00 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Congratulations and advice please
http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/ were the suppliers of the original exhaust system, I believe they still do parts for it.

As for springs I don't think there is a particular advantage of 2.25 over 1.9 in performance its more to do with clearance and available space on the Libra.
That said, for the spring lengths used the narrower ones can be more prone to bowing which in the extreme can lead to the spring inside rubbing on the damper body. I had a problem with this with springs bought from Avo. The wider springs are less prone to this due to them having a better height to width ratio.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:25 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks for the info. At just over a hundred quid inc. P.& P it is quite expensive, but a damned sight better than the present lash up.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:08 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

What size/weight springs are you looking at. I've got an old set of AVO's with 2 sets of nearly new springs for the rear ones. One set is 8" & the other set 10". Can't remember the weights off the top of my head, but will dig them out & look. Both sets were on the car for about 1000 miles!

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

8" x 1.9 x 350lb

10" x 1.9 x 325lb

Both sets look almost new. Black painted & hardly a mark on them.
If they're any good to you, either set for £25 including p&p.
(BTW both sets are rear ones).

Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:11 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Sounds good to me, Sven. I shall endeavour to send you a PM - I've done it before!

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:10 am
Profile E-mail