It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:24 pm

Where do all the photos go?? 
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Post Where do all the photos go??
Hi,
I have just signed in after a few weeks looking around.
Looking over some of the build logs the phots have turned into cats or frogs, or are just blank.
Sutch a shame as people have gone to a lot of trouble, posting and editing these photos and the associated writing on bloggs and builds.

Wondered why they disappear and is there a way to keep them safe once posted.
Great site lots of info and ideas.

Keep it up as I am planning to grt a Rossa K3, and will be picking peoples brains.
:)
Regards
John

The owner isn't

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:56 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Where do all the photos go??
Photos are not stored on the forum. They need to be posted onto a photo hosting site such as Photobucket before they can be linked to a forum post.

If the author of the post eventually deletes the photo from the hosting site, to free up more space for example, it also disappears from the forum post.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:10 pm
Part built GTM

What a shame all that info just disappearing, I know its not just the GTM forum.

I know forums don't like hosting photos cause it costs money......

The owner isn't

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

for a number of years ago, I used to use “imageshack” to host my images, it was free with the option of being a paid up member which I never took up due to the limited amount of images they used to host for me. after about 5 years of using imageshack, they went to paid up members only. my and other peoples images were still hosted there but one couldn’t add anymore,

then after a years or so, I found that most of my images they hosted for me that I had linked to on threads on forums, had broken links and no images were showing, I tried emailing/contacting the site but never got a reply, so sometimes its the host company that cuts the links, sad as how can anyone go back years and find the images to re link them to a thread on a forum

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:26 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

It seems to be the way of the internet, old posts loose thier pictures because hosting sites change their rules etc.

A quick way is to use something like drop box , but at a stroke the used can unwitingly delete loads of photos he didn't know about or were linked.....

The owner isn't

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:37 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
I've never used image hosting sites to add photos to my posts on here - I've always just used the attach files option, chosen a photo off my computer then click add the file. Once its on there as an attachment you can click "place inline" to drop it into the post. All from here, no hosting sites needed. Presumably the file attach option must host it somewhere though - am I doing it wrong?

One thing I have noticed is that to do the above you need to shrink the photos down before you add them or everyone has to scroll the window when they open the post as they appear full size in the post!

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
sanzomat

Your doing it right and yes it is an option on this forum, the pictures are hosted on our forum with the server deal we have, the only issue is if the server ever goes belly up, we change providers, or... I mess something up in the background.

As you say please everyone resize your pictures to keep them sensible, my personal favourite is to resize to 640x480.

Neil

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:15 pm