It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:47 am

Misfire 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Misfire
Following my winter upgrades (should have started a thread in "projects" but I've littered my progress over various topics!) the car is driveable again but not completely finished. First time out was Thursday evening, although running it had a dreadful misfire. I've had a go today and found there was a problem with the HT leads. The inners are loose in the plastic bits that go down inside the head so when you push them onto the plugs all that happens is the inner retracts so the metal part of the lead was only just touching the plug bullet so making a poor connection. I've sorted that but there is still a misfire, not nearly as bad but still not right. Wiggling the HT leads whilst the engine was running I was getting belts from the rubber outers so I think the insulation is breaking down so new leads are required. Hopefully this will stop the misfire. I've also swapped over the plugs from the old engine but that didn't seem to make any difference so the plugs probably aren't the problem.

Any other likely misfire reasons? might be the coils (mems 2 VVC so the coils packs on the side of the block), I guess it could also be the injectors?

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Misfire
I suspect you have already found the answer, you shouldn't be getting shocks from healthy leads. As you are doing, sort the basics before getting expensive on it.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:57 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

My new HT leads arrived today so wasted no time and got them on this evening. Started easy and settled into a nice steady idle. As it's dry tonight I took her out for a short test drive...

.. :P :D :) :P :D :D that's more like it!! Running great now. Its been a while since I drove it with the old engine but I'm fairly confident it has got more go now than it used to. As it was dark and a bit cold (didn't bother putting the hood up) and my headlights aren't the best I didn't go too far or very fast but once warm I gave it few goes up to the red line in 2nd and it very willingly goes up to 7200 and feels to be accelerating pretty well. Doesn't seem to be all about the top end either as it seems quite grunty lower down too. Can't wait for some daylight and dry roads to have a proper test.

I do need to check the speedo calibration though. Seems to be over reading. Its showing 70 at 3000 revs but according to the spec it should be 20.7/1000 in 5th i.e. 62.1 at 3k. I'll have to find out how to re-set it.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Good news. I'm only the other side of the Severn bridge if you fancy meeting up with the cars soon

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:11 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Glad you sorted it in the end without spending a fortune

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:21 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

octance wrote:
Good news. I'm only the other side of the Severn bridge if you fancy meeting up with the cars soon

Check out the Bristol Kit Car Club - lots of local meets/events including the odd run out along the Wye valley. There is a guy from Chepstow with a Westy that pops over quite often (Don't know his real name but forum alias is brandy barrel). Are you aware of the Queens Square meets in Bristol? - 2nd Sunday of every month from about 8 to about 11, so this Sunday. search for avenue drivers club.

Are you doing Llandow CKC track day this year?

Yes should meet up.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:31 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

madmazturbo wrote:
Glad you sorted it in the end without spending a fortune

Thanks. Probably not much use to you with the Honda engine but I found a guy on ebay with old stock of brand new Lucas branded leads for the pre 1999 VVC engine at under £20 a set so well pleased.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:33 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

nice to see you have got it running ok

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

In fairness to my Honda conversion it never Goes wrong. The only silly problem I have is the battery only lasts about 4weeks without being started. Plus I take it off the road until March when the weather improves
I haven't planned a ckc track day this year but we could arrange for a local meet as Bristol is only 35minutes away from me in Wales.

You in south Wales octane?

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

sanzomat wrote:
octance wrote:

Check out the Bristol Kit Car Club - lots of local meets/events including the odd run out along the Wye valley. There is a guy from Chepstow with a Westy that pops over quite often (Don't know his real name but forum alias is brandy barrel). Are you aware of the Queens Square meets in Bristol? - 2nd Sunday of every month from about 8 to about 11, so this Sunday. search for avenue drivers club.

Are you doing Llandow CKC track day this year?

Yes should meet up.

That meet sounds good, I shall try and go. Llandow is easy to get to so I will hopefully go to that too!

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

When is LLandow
I would love to do that - if new engine in place and working

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

madmazturbo wrote:

You in south Wales octane?

I am almost. One mile from Chepstow

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:04 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

petesilcock wrote:
When is LLandow
I would love to do that - if new engine in place and working

Its 14th May - Its a saturday so no need to take time off work (unusual as most trackdays are only on weekdays as the tracks are in use for competitions most weekends). Very reasonable price too and all kit cars so no lunatics in old BMWs!

Wouldn't be surprised if its fully booked now but worth a call to Ian at CKC magazine.

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/ckcomex.html

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:23 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
I will most probably enter the 7th May sprint at Llandow followed by the hillclimb at Llys y Fran on the Sunday, if anybody is in the area they would be most welcome to meet up for a chat
John

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

No chance of engine completion by then
Will have to wait for another
I really like LLandow
Very good for setting up - short course that is simple to learn and barriers not too close

Pete

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:54 pm
Profile E-mail