It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:38 am

Oil pressure sender 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Oil pressure sender
Anyone know what the right sender would be to work the oil pressure gauge in the Spyder (presumably the same as the Libra). Its the 5 dial version GTM instrument pack. is it 0-10 bar?
There wasn't one on my previous engine to transfer over. I've never actually had a working gauge!

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Oil pressure sender
You may not thank me for this . . . . .but . . . the nice, new and not yet used sender which I have in my hand, and supplied by GTM back in the day, is marked thus: 0 - 6 x 100 kpa. which is the range okay, but what that is in "proper" (i.e. psi) I know not. Then again, I did have six shots at "O" level maths, with conspicuous lack of success. Best of luck.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
So for the metric thats 0- 6 bar
Imperial 0-84psi

The owner isn't

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Thanks for that guys.

Hmm, the ones I've found on ebay either come in 0-5bar or 0-10bar. Not sure which to go for now. I guess it depends on what the range of resistance is for any given pressures. I'm thinking that it would be better to get the 0-10bar version and maybe put a resistor in series?

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
ETB Instruments [etbinstruments.com] supplied the gauge's and senders originally. Might be worth a call?

Bob.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I've always found ETB to be very helpful but I think they'll struggle to supply a gauge with GTM branding at this stage. Worth a call though.

Steve

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:11 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

I've got the gauge, Just the sender I need. I checked ETB. They do 0-6bar senders and they would be the right ones to match the gauge in the car (electrically) but they only come in 1/8 NPT so would need to buy a thread adapter to fit the M12x1.5 on the engine. With adapter and delivery I'm looking at about £45 :shock: The ebay senders come in either 0-5bar or 0-10bar to match VDO gauges and if you are prepared to wait for one to come from hong kong you can have one for well under £10 and you can choose the thread you need so no messing around with adapters (and therefore extra places to leak).

What I can't find out is what the resistance ranges are. I'm guessing the gauge itself is just a volt meter and the sender is a variable resistor so it should just be a case of matching the lowest resistance with the input voltage required to give full deflection of the needle. If the sender gives out too high a voltage then a resistor should sort it?

I'm not too bothered about the gauge being calibrated, just showing me high or low pressure. I think I'll get a cheap one and have a play!

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:56 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
sanzomat wrote:
I've got the gauge, Just the sender I need. I checked ETB. They do 0-6bar senders and they would be the right ones to match the gauge in the car (electrically) but they only come in 1/8 NPT so would need to buy a thread adapter to fit the M12x1.5 on the engine. With adapter and delivery I'm looking at about £45 :shock: The ebay senders come in either 0-5bar or 0-10bar to match VDO gauges and if you are prepared to wait for one to come from hong kong you can have one for well under £10 and you can choose the thread you need so no messing around with adapters (and therefore extra places to leak).

What I can't find out is what the resistance ranges are. I'm guessing the gauge itself is just a volt meter and the sender is a variable resistor so it should just be a case of matching the lowest resistance with the input voltage required to give full deflection of the needle. If the sender gives out too high a voltage then a resistor should sort it?

I think you will find the gauge is an amp meter, add a resister change the amps and give a false reading :?

I'm not too bothered about the gauge being calibrated, just showing me high or low pressure. I think I'll get a cheap one and have a play!

If you only want an alarm have a large bright red light, much better than any gauge :D

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:14 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

I suppose I could get one the size of the gauge and use it to infill the hole!

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:37 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
sanzomat wrote:
I suppose I could get one the size of the gauge and use it to infill the hole!

I have used the old Mini size indicator light with a red lens in a race car, put it in front of your nose and you will not miss it if the oil pressure drops :mrgreen:
John

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:46 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Attachment:
oil pressure gauge.jpg
oil pressure gauge.jpg [ 234.3 KiB | Viewed 9148 times ]

I noticed that the oil pressure gauge is marked up to 150psi which by my sums is more or less 10bar. As such a 6 bar sender wouldn't be sufficient to ever use the full range (not saying the oil pressure would ever actually get that high). It seems that using a 0-10bar sender isn't such a daft idea.

I also noticed that on the rev counter it says VDO ETB - always thought they were different companies so seems strange to have both on the same instrument.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I believe ETB use VDO gauge parts to make their own gauges.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:18 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I'm pretty sure that there is a pressure relief system in the engine, which should limit maximum pressure to about 90 psi.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:14 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

I bought a 0-10bar M12 sender off ebay, uk based, £9.95 delivered. Fitted it this evening whilst changing the oil. Seems to work fine. At a cold idle it was showing 60psi on the gauge. Didn't increase much with revs though. I didn't have time to go out for a run to see how it changes as the oil warms up but it definitely shows a reading on the gauge :)

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail