It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 7:53 am

Oil cooler - ideally Laminova or similar 
On the Road

GTM: Spyder
Post Oil cooler - ideally Laminova or similar
I've decided I definitely don't want to be changing my engine again so as well as the sump baffle I've now fitted I'm also going to put in some oil cooling. I noticed the oil pressure was dropping off a bit at Llandow after a good thrashing on track, but came back again once it had cooled down so the oil must be overheating and thinning.

I don't fancy running oil pipes to the front (plus concerned about pressure drop) and I also think there wouldn't be optimum air flow anywhere in the engine bay of the Spyder for an air to oil heat exchanger to work properly without a fan (which I am considering). I think the best option would be a laminova and then I wouldn't need to worry about a thermostat either. My Passat rad upgrade seems to be working well (water temp never went above 85 at Llandow) so should have the capacity to deal with any extra heat from the oil.

Anyone got a spare laminova (and maybe even a sandwich plate) lying around gathering dust? There is one on ebay at the moment but its the biggest size and has -16 oil fittings so would need a few extra quid spent on it. Also looking at the Serck ones that were made for TVR's as there are a couple of those on ebay too - anyone know if they are any good compared to the Mocal ones?

New Mocal ones are shocking money :shock:

Wed May 25, 2016 7:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Oil cooler - ideally Laminova or similar
I put a mocal oil cooler on my supercharger and it punctured from a stone chip within 2weeks as they are fairly thin I believe but definitely don't by anything cheaper mate from eBay or something. From my experience by the best you can afford once and you won't be going back. I put one designed for a noble on mine in the end and was a far stronger/chunkier unit, but can't remember where I got it from but it was a polished metal and shiny :D

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
Mondeo Titanium x sport 200
BMW 320d M Sport

Wed May 25, 2016 9:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I have one on a Tuscan it works well but TVR plumbed it in the cold side of the rad with no thermostat so can take 20 miles on a dual carriageway to get to 65 deg C on a cool day
Ian

Sat May 28, 2016 4:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

sanzomat wrote:
I've decided I definitely don't want to be changing my engine again so as well as the sump baffle I've now fitted I'm also going to put in some oil cooling. I noticed the oil pressure was dropping off a bit at Llandow after a good thrashing on track, but came back again once it had cooled down so the oil must be overheating and thinning.

I don't fancy running oil pipes to the front (plus concerned about pressure drop) and I also think there wouldn't be optimum air flow anywhere in the engine bay of the Spyder for an air to oil heat exchanger to work properly without a fan (which I am considering). I think the best option would be a laminova and then I wouldn't need to worry about a thermostat either. My Passat rad upgrade seems to be working well (water temp never went above 85 at Llandow) so should have the capacity to deal with any extra heat from the oil.

Anyone got a spare laminova (and maybe even a sandwich plate) lying around gathering dust? There is one on ebay at the moment but its the biggest size and has -16 oil fittings so would need a few extra quid spent on it. Also looking at the Serck ones that were made for TVR's as there are a couple of those on ebay too - anyone know if they are any good compared to the Mocal ones?

New Mocal ones are shocking money :shock:

I don't have any bits to help but rather than a sandwich have a look for filter head from a 160 VVC. They had an oil cooler as standard.

Sun May 29, 2016 10:31 pm
Profile E-mail