It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

Seat belts 
Part built GTM

GTM: Spyder
Post Seat belts
Never was a fan of the inertia reel belts in the Spyder so had a bit of an upgrade and had fabricated a cross beam from which to mount the new harnesses which are TRS wrap around belts. Two fold benefit - first the new harnesses feel a whole lot better and second the beam acts like a high level strut brace and has stiffened the car up a huge amount. The bar was fabricated to use the existing high level reel mounts and I think it looks very neat. Powder coated and smart. The boys who made it have the cnc information for the mounts etc so if you are thinking of doing similar drop me a line.

Attachments:
IMG_3091.jpg
IMG_3091.jpg [ 293.96 KiB | Viewed 5802 times ]
IMG_3090.jpg
IMG_3090.jpg [ 318.18 KiB | Viewed 5802 times ]
Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:09 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Seat belts
Self aligning seat belts very neat

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Looks very neat. Just wondering what stops the belts from sliding sideways along the bar? Just the seats or is there something underneath hidden from view?

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

No nothing hidden from view. The holes in the seats act as a guide and when on and tightened they don't move. Overall, well chuffed with the end result and wife happy too as she prefers harness type belts to inertia as she says they make her feel more secure. Not sure what she means!!!!

The other main point of the project was to enable me one to fold the roof down as before and secondly, the rear shelf is our going away boot for the luggage so wanted as much space left as possible.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Looks very neat!

I'm thinking of getting a roll over bar (or rather two hoops). Think this could be a good starting point, with additional support points on tub or engine frame points. Do you think your boys are capable of making a rollover of it?

Think Ian has solved this in a simular way without loosing too much space
[url]http://www.gtmdrivers.com/forum/spyder-rollover-protection-t3095.html
[/url]

Best,
Terje A.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:54 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I am sure they could make a rollover of it no problem. It would need to be braced back to the firewall and somewhere else I would think. If interested I will ask them for you.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:47 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
If you are thinking of making a roll bar and want to compete read the MSA blue book very carefully , they are quoting 42.4mm diameter cds tube as the minimum requirements, there is a lot of controversy on this subject among racers just now :(
John

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:25 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Larkingabout wrote:
I am sure they could make a rollover of it no problem. It would need to be braced back to the firewall and somewhere else I would think. If interested I will ask them for you.

Yes please!

I live in Bergen, Norway, so it need to be shipped. Could they do that as well? (Still no Newcastle-Bergen ferry - they closed it down some years ago, for years talking about reopening it.)

I am just interrested in adding safety in case I get my ass at a track - no plans of competing 8)

T

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:19 am
Profile E-mail