It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
Z Cars rear suspension 
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Z Cars rear suspension
Elansprint wrote:
Roger there seems to be 2 engine steady bars from the beam thought this distance may be different on V6
Ian

That's correct. If you are using a different engine then you may have to alter the position of the steady bars. One fixes to the gearbox so that should be the same.

The kit was designed for the K Series 4 pot. I would advise buying it in bare metal, altering the mounts to fit then get it powdercoated.

Bertram did indeed fit the suspension to a V6 tub with VAG engine.

These are kit cars guys. The fun is in messing about and getting things to fit!

Alternatively take your car and a big bag of cash to Z Cars.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:02 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

If get the kit I'm just going to retain my existing steady bar, as it bolts to the flat of the floor it won't clash with the z cars cross member

Might even get it cheaper :lol:

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
I'm wondering about the strength of the fixings of those steady bars. It looks like they fit with a single bolt into the alloy casting of the gearbox at one end and the sump at the other. These pre-threaded holes in those alloy components are M10 and only about 12mm deep into aluminium so it seems to me that is asking quite a lot of that single bolt and alloy thread - for those that have this arrangement is this holding up okay? At both locations there are two threaded holes so it wouldn't be hard to make a mounting plate with captive bolt to take the steady bar end and share the load over two fixings. The standard MGF rear steady bracket bolts to the sump with four bolts, two underneath and two on the rear face (I believe the GTM bracket also used the same four holes) - if those require four bolts then again I find myself thinking just one is asking for trouble.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
I think the load is shared over two bolts, I'm sure I read this on another thread and you can just see the arrangement on a picture of Roger's old car.

Perhaps Roger could confirm?

Attachment:
ZCars017.jpg
ZCars017.jpg [ 107.46 KiB | Viewed 11750 times ]

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Do we have any idea of price yet ?
Ian

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Not yet Ian.

They are currently working on a kit for my car so it shouldn't be too long before we do.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

If I remember correctly on the sump side there was a bolt through the bust then a kind of clamp arrangement into another whole next to it.

Either way it worked perfectly for 20 + thousand miles. When you consider the standard GTM arrangement with one steady bar bolted to a large bracket on the sump through a bendy 4" long bolt. I think it was an improvement. My exhaust tip never knocked against the rear clam.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Elansprint wrote:
Do we have any idea of price yet ?
Ian

Might be a bit chicken and egg because they will want to know how many they're making but for most of us our interest is subject to cost. Myself and Jamie are keeping in touch with David so as Jamie says once his car is there we should get more of an idea.

From my point of view I don't really need the hassle or expense as my car already has a new set of MK2 wishbones on it, but at a fair price it would be a good upgrade.

Don't suppose anyone would be interested in my MK2 set up once removed? Still an upgrade from the MK1 wishbones!

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:50 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Just been reading through some old stuff on Team GTM from Roger's initial talks with Chris at Z cars, I'm sure Roger will chime in but it sounds like at the time £1500 was supposed to get you new shocks, a new engine cradle AND a new wishbone set up.... and in the end all that money got you was a cross member and wishbones. Not sure what happened along the way but it confirms my feeling that it ended up being a lot of money for what it was.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Assume the kit comes with new spreader plates anyone know?

As it uses 12 bolts per side not 16 like the original

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Spyder
yazza54 wrote:
Assume the kit comes with new spreader plates anyone know?

As it uses 12 bolts per side not 16 like the original
The spreader plates only attach to four bolts each so the originals should be fine. (You would end up with one surplus spreader per side.)

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:17 am
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

hello
I asked them about the z cars suspension last year but they said they couldn't do it.
if they are going to do it again im interested, just let me know the price when you know.

kind regards brett

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Brett, I've Emailed you

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

I just got wind of this thread from the pistonheads forum

I would be very interested in the z cars setup.

My libra has a Honda b16a at the moment. Would be very interested in converting to a k20 - would z cars do the full rear assembly to house the k20?

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Right guys just to update

I've spoken to z cars again and they have committed to reproducing the kit again but the first batch they have committed to making 5 kits to negate the risk of having bits lying around etc. they've already ordered the materials which I was surprised about so it looks like all systems go.

The first one was always going to be Jamie's (jaykart) who was always having a kit anyway so that left me 4 for the group buy, one mine and 3 remaining. So to be fair I've had to offer these to the first people who committed. I've written to everyone who contacted me individually whether it be good or bad news. Although the good news is that the kit has been resurrected regardless of whether you were late to the party or not with the group buy.

The first kit will be tacked up in the jigs and validated using Jamie's Libra, they are also going to look at any potential improvements that can be made, I mentioned the use of MGF wheel bearings rather than mondeo for example...I believe Jamie has said the same.

So there we have it, watch this space... if you are reading this and either missed out on the group buy or generally weren't aware of it until now, I recommend you speak to David Rose and see what he can do for you on 07967 648749 as I'm sure he will make more if the interest is there.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next