It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Help required with Rossa dilemma. 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Rossa
Post Help required with Rossa dilemma.
Hi everyone I am putting this post in general for now rather than the classifieds because as of yet I don't know which way to go. I have been doing really well with my project but am finding garage time difficult due to progression of an illness. I don't know weather to keep at it best I can or let it go (which is very hard to decide). I have done loads of work and refurbed, rebuilt and sourced lots and lots of parts. The engine hasn't been run at all since it was rebuilt by Sheffield Engines. I have the hard to find bits and bobs, new bigger Rad, fitted new heater matrix, rebuilt one caliper and have new parts for the other side (seal and piston kit as well as pads) and same on the rear drums. I have new radiator pipes front to back ready to fit, roll bar, all glass, hi los all round. sub frames fully rebuilt as well as susspension, master cylinders fitted, new hand brake cables, new throttle cables ready for fitting.
I am at a stage where I want to put pipes in, fit brake and clutch pipes put engine in and get it running before rubbing body down and deciding weather to paint it or cover it in vinyl.
I would at a push sell it but I think if I had to let it go I would probably get far more by splitting and selling it that way.
I could easily get as much for the engine in the mini scene than the last Rossas On Ebay fetched.
I have seen a Midas car for sale that is a mot'd runner that I thought about buying for a ready runaround while I decide what to do.
I need a fun running car for drives into the Peaks for a bit of escape time.
My question is... What would you do?

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Help required with Rossa dilemma.
What's the Midas? that could well come with a whole host of issues too. I'd keep the Rossa and buy a cheap runabout, something like this with just a change of springs for £90 would be my choice http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Micra- ... Swt5hYg71r

springs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kilen-Suspens ... SwnbZYCej~

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:39 pm
Looking like a GTM

We have two daily drive cars (A new Seat Ibiza, and an A3) and also a work van but I like to have something different for nice local runs out. Keeping on top of a running car with spot on body work is no problem which is why I was hoping to look at the Midas someone mentioned would be for sale, all I know is that it is near mint and mot'd so apart from general service and maintenance it is no different from owning the A3. I have had classic minis since before I was old enough to drive but lately prolonged full rebuild is taking its toll.

We also have a clubby estate to sell this year that myself and father in fully rebuilt 5 year ago and he used as a daily drive but he had a stroke and now can't drive.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:03 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Ah right, in that case the Midas may fit the bill, not sure a kit car can ever be comparable to an A3, but a well built one shouldn't give too many issues.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:09 pm
Looking like a GTM

To tell you the truth I find a well maintained classic/kitcar is probably easier and cheaper to look after than modern tin cans and are much nicer to drive. From where I live it is only 20 mins to open Peak District driving and I fancy a change from minis. I would love to drive the Rossa around. If I don't sort something I may try to wait while things improve a tad and take two weeks holiday to just work on the car and get it something like. I just don't like rushing but might do something I have never done and have it as a running project instead of building completely to the finished standard/spec first. I did send the link to the Micra to a friend though because he is after a donor for a engine swap in a mini because he did one before and liked it

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:20 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

At first I did picture you over there in Sheffield with no car to drive. I have in the past bought other cars instead of finishing or fixing my current car, where I really should have just got on with what needed doing.

They're getting cheap now those Micra's I have the exact same model as the one on ebay and they're surprisingly good reliable cars with amazing engines. Hoping to have a Midas with a Micra engine myself, but health issues mean it may never happen.

I head east on my drives, and you head west :wink:

ETA I see the Micra listing has ended now.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:38 pm
Looking like a GTM

Have to try and meet in the middle someday. I have been a rope climber since before I could walk so love driving those areas and stopping at certain places.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:44 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Indeed we will, my favourite time is in the summer, in the evenings with the sun behind me and most of the traffic gone, then heading back east just as the sun is setting. I'm in Chapel-en-le-frith. Any other type of driving is just nasty and horrible these days, and I can never drag myself out of bed early enough to take advantage of the quiet morning roads.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 pm
Looking like a GTM

:D small world, I was working in buxton then chapel en le frith on my way back yesterday. Love it in that area.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:24 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Small world indeed. With all the houses they keep building it's starting to feel like we're a suburb of Manchester :( off the main roads isn't so bad, but more suited to motorcycling and cycling. Easy to see why Castleton road is my default route out in the car.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:35 pm