It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

Looking for a Libra this year, how much am I looking at? 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Looking for a Libra this year, how much am I looking at?
Good evening!

I'm going to be looking for a Libra this year to replace the K3 which will be up for sale soon, at 6'1" and not slim the space inside has always been marginal in a car that I use on a daily basis.

Having rebuilt a couple of cars outside in all weathers I have no desire to repeat the experience so I'll be looking for a tidy, sorted car that is ready to go, and keep on going.

Ideally I'd be looking for a 1800VVC with PG1 box, LSD and decent cable shift, though I could also be interested in a Honda engined variant. Later suspension (preferably Z-Cars) with ProTechs and at least a front ARB. Externally I prefer the GTO lights and having had to buff gel coat for the last few years on both my red cars just to make them look acceptable I would prefer a painted finish.

I know they don't come up all that often and I might be wanting the moon on a stick, but how much (ballpark) should I expect to be paying for something to this rough spec, ready to jump into and drive wherever?

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Looking for a Libra this year, how much am I looking at?
That is the Moon on a stick!

Add the Alloy Maxitank and remove the GTO lights and you have the perfect spec!

To be honest I don't remember there being a car of that spec including the painted finish.

I think there are only 10 or so with the Z Cars suspension so if you don't want to spend time and money getting that fitted that would be my starting point. If you look through posts from a couple of months ago you will see a red one potentially for sale that may be close to perfect for you.

Putting a cost on that spec is difficult. Few Libras come up for sale and most that have come up in the last few years have been far from perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay 12k plus for everything you want.

Good Luck!

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:08 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Yeah, you're gonna have to do some of that yourself I'm afraid.. too many ideals

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Hmm, I like them, but not £12k worth of like.

Ok, so forgetting the Z Cars wishbones and painted finish..... is the later gel coat less prone to fading than the 90's stuff? Both my K3 and my Midas are red-pink-red-pink depending on how strong the sun ha been that week.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:33 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

If mines anything to go by, no. I'm currently doing a load of prep work for mine to be painted. Apart from crazing in various places the colour has gone very flat too.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:04 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
It obviously depends on how much sunlight it gets exposed to. Red painted cars also fade to pink too.

Mine has been on the road since 2004 but has been garaged all its life and the red still looks good as new.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:30 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

You're right of course, I suspect mines lived outside a lot of its life and was used daily. It looks pants compared to my old Libra that I had painted.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Mine's the same as sanzomat's. Always been garaged & still like new. It also helps to put on a good protector like Farécla UV wax, it stops the UV rays from damaging it.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I think you have more chance of Lord Lucan turning up on Shergar than finding a car like that . The only way would be to buy the nearest spec and do the rest yourself I am afraid
Ian

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Elansprint wrote:
I think you have more chance of Lord Lucan turning up on Shergar than finding a car like that . The only way would be to buy the nearest spec and do the rest yourself I am afraid
Ian

So it would appear!

Oh well, time to start some slightly more realistic looking.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

There's an abandoned one near me, well it hasn't moved for a few years, the last person I know that asked about buying it was told he was getting round to getting it back on the road,
It's red and outside so you can imagine how the gel coat is. Red fades quickly and GTMs seem to fade quicker than Midas do.
It's outside some flats so I can't just knock on his door, I'll get a photo of it next time I pass.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:13 pm
Ready for SVA

Mine is pretty much up there with the spec with a 2.0l Honda engine as well but never been painted, but the gel coat in my opinion is pretty good. I had mine valued and guaranteed insured through Adrian flux for £15k at the last renewal, I was thinking if someone wipes me out whilst driving I would like a realistic amount back from insurance which I have paid for at an additional cost for that guarantee.

You'll be lucky to find what you want, but in my opinion id by something with the right engine in the first place and then you could upgrade to what you want as you go :D

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Midas wrote:
There's an abandoned one near me, well it hasn't moved for a few years, the last person I know that asked about buying it was told he was getting round to getting it back on the road,
It's red and outside so you can imagine how the gel coat is. Red fades quickly and GTMs seem to fade quicker than Midas do.
It's outside some flats so I can't just knock on his door, I'll get a photo of it next time I pass.

A couple of years ago I'd have said that was right up my street, I'm not scared of a project, but just for once I want to buy a car I can use.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:27 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

madmazturbo wrote:
Mine is pretty much up there with the spec with a 2.0l Honda engine as well but never been painted, but the gel coat in my opinion is pretty good. I had mine valued and guaranteed insured through Adrian flux for £15k at the last renewal, I was thinking if someone wipes me out whilst driving I would like a realistic amount back from insurance which I have paid for at an additional cost for that guarantee.

You'll be lucky to find what you want, but in my opinion id by something with the right engine in the first place and then you could upgrade to what you want as you go :D

That looks like the path I will have to tread.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:28 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I have a 16k mile b18c honda engined libra with LSD. Gaz suspension just rebuilt, I've also redone the cable change so it's nice and precise now. Gel coat is still fresh. Advertising soon for £8500. It's insured for £10k

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:43 am
Profile E-mail