It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Phil's Blingless Libra 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Phil's Blingless Libra
A gentleman to the last Sanz :D

That’s assuming that Stew is willing to deal with any old roughion :lol:

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Stick a charger on the k20, you get tunnel vision from the acceleration :D

stewb wrote:
Hi,

I've fairly recently acquired a k20 powered Libra. I've previously owned a VVC powered earlyish car & an ex factory demo V6.

I'd recommend the k20, a few points to note however... the k20 is quite a vibey motor, I've read a bit on the Civics & they are the same in those, particularly when using stiff engine mounts. I'm sure with some rethinking of the mounts it could be improved but it does make bits of the cabin resonate at lower engine speeds.

The power delivery of the k20 is fairly linear (mine has an aftermarket ecu with the VTEC changeover point dropped) but they aren't the most torquey, the lack of mass & low gearing means it's not really a problem but it does make for a fairly frantic & aggressive character. I've most likely got a distorted baseline as the KV6 has a virtually flat torque curve from around 1400rpm up which in a car as light as a Libra feels incredibly punchy & therefore effortless. Obviously the V6 is also ultra smooth compared with an I-4.

All that said though if you like revs & the aggressive character then there is no better choice! The k20 is pretty much bomb proof & has vast tuning potential.

My car was built with the MGF gearchange but was apparently troublesome - the first job I have done is to fit a BMW Mini shifter using bespoke cables which works a treat with the Honda 6 speed gearbox.

On the seats side - my current car has the half fabric/alcantara Mitsubishi Evo seats which fit very well & are mega comfortable dispite being supportive. Mine are bolted through the inner floor panel with clearance holes with bungs in the outer floor.

Steering wheel - I've just changed mine to a Momo Team 280mm which if I'm honest is a bit on the small side! It's fine steering weight wise (running 195/45 16 on the front) but does get in the way of the instruments & just feel a bit small! I think a 300mm wheel would be about right. My car came with a flat wheel & an adjustable omp spacer, the Team has a slight dish & I've removed the spacer (the steering boss is fairly deep already).

I'm going to fit an auxiliary digi speedo on mine (I did the same on my V6) as from driving modern stuff I like a digi readout for speed & shiftlights for revs. There are some fairly trick aftermarket gauges out there (Koso, SPA etc) so shouldn't be a problem.

Brilliant little cars though - I'm putting together a supercharger setup for mine....then I'll possibly look at a taller final drive.

Cheers,

Stew.

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:18 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

All,
I have the chance of a TF 160 complete for £500.
First of all, is this the right ballpark price? It’s localish, all there, road worthy I suppose, don’t know about MOT.

So, what do I need to strip out?
What should I keep?
What should I sell?
What is worth no more than scrap and not worth hanging on to?

If I do go this way I’ll have to strip it in a weekend.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:37 pm
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
I paid £600 for my mot failed TF160 so £500 sounds okay as long as the bits you want are okay. Mine had 83k miles and a decent service history, recent cambelt/water pump, headgasket was done at 65k and still seems okay. Recent brake discs/pads. The seller drove it to mine and everything worked fine, engine and gearbox sweet and strong.

So far I've sold parts to a value of £670 net of ebay/paypal fees and postage and probably have another £200 or so to sell when I can be bothered.

The bits I'm keeping are the engine (incl loom, ecu, 5as and all ancillaries), gearbox, drive shafts, front and back discs/calipers (the 4 pots from the front), a full set of 11 spoke alloys with tyres I've been using all year, gearchange (for spares), handbrake cables.

The things that fetched the most on selling were the seats (full leather), hood (pretty good condition), headlights, foglights and the remainder have been lots of £5-£10 stuff - various switches etc. I still have both subframes if anyone wants them, including hubs and uprights, steering rack, ARB's

Its a 2002 and the shell is pretty rusty (hence MOT fail)

Good luck!

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:09 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Just read the bit about a weekend - I've been gradually stripping mine over 10 months!! To be honest I've probably only spent a total of about 30 hours on it but you'll be going well to even get the bits you'll need off it in a weekend unless you have lots of friends who'll help.

Lots of rusty seized bolts to round off then grind!!

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

This one is a 160 replica (go figure) with the right bits. 60k miles, 12 months mot and 30 miles away. I've just realised I've got next week of work then a week off, so the weekend of stripping will be extended.
I have a ramp and a 9" grinder. <grin>

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 pm
On the Road

'Aftnoon all.
Can someone help with what brakes I have on my Libra? All I know is that the previous owner said that the calipers were from a Montego. So is this the same as R600/800?

It's 50% off brakes at Eurocarparts this weekend so if they're Montego discs I can get a pair to replace my nasty pitted ones for 19 quid.

Cheers,

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 pm
On the Road

For the front? If so measure the diameter, if they are 240mm then they will be the twin vented discs as used on Monty, Maestro and Metro/100 GTi. They could also be 260 or 280mm discs if its had a caliper conversion kit fitted to accept those.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I have the Montego (2 l diesel ) caliper conversion on my car, the adapter plates were made to suit (re-drilled) Rover 820 285 mm front discs.

Bob.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:09 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hmm, thanks guys, it seems I need to investigate more, and this isn't the weather for that sort of thing.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 am
On the Road

New Problem! :?

The front passenger suspension has developed a nasty bang and shock through the steering when going over pretty insignificant road lumpiness.

The whole thing seems to be quite unstable at speed too.

I expect my shocker has evacuated all of it's oil. I've had a look but there's nothing obvious.

So, does this sound the correct explanation? I expect I need my front shocks rebuilding - thing is I can't see what make they are - how can I tell?

Cheers,

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am
On the Road

Push down and release that corner and see how it bounces back. If it seems springy then yes prob is damper fail - compare it to the other three corners.

Could also be a broken spring - will be obvious with wheel off.

They're easy to remove, jack up, wheel off, two bolts and remove. Then make a note of where the preload ring is, unscrew it (might have a locking grub) and you can then pump the shock by hand.

If original shocks then it'll be either Gaz or AVO. Could be Pro-tech (http://www.protechshocks.co.uk/protech- ... ra-fronts/) which is a popular choice for replacing OE.

Pretty sure these are GAZ http://www.peteronline.co.uk/pages/build_4.htm
AVOs have a blue body.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Ok, thanks for the insight.

Thinking about it - they're 18 years old and very scabby. I think it might be time for new ones anyway.

I'll give it a bounce tonight.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm
GTM Nirvana

If it has happened suddenly I'd be looking for something broken rather than a damper with no oil. Springs do break - very obvious when they do. If you have an ARB that could have snapped - wouldn't be the first GTM one to go but then you'd be aware of the drop link doing things it shouldn't.

Check ball joints, and also whether the nuts have come loose - the top one relies on a tab washer and the tabs can rust away - it starts at the fatigued bends so they just drop off! A loose nut could have been disguised for a while by the taper staying locked but a sudden bump could have dislodged it and now its rocking in the taper??

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:07 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hmm, yes, that's a possibility - it did come on all of a sudden. It does seem a very harsh bang to be the damper that has packed up - it happens on quite innocuous bumps where the suspension wouldn't be bottoming out - so there would be no cause for a metal on metal impact. It would explain the very dodgy handling too.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next