It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 pm

5AS Help -Spyder, mems 2.0 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post 5AS Help -Spyder, mems 2.0
I seem to have a strange problem with my 5AS immobiliser. I had the car battery disconnected for a few days whilst doing my front anti roll bar so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
After putting it all back together on Sunday the car started fine and I went out for a nice drive and enjoyed the fantastic handling improvement I'd made.
I went to start it tonight and it runs for a few seconds then cuts out - classic symptoms of the 5AS not handshaking with the ECU. I've had problems with the connections to the 5AS loom before. A previous owner soldered and heat shrinked them so they look a pukka job but one broke previously so I started looking there. Took the dash top off, wiggled the wires, no difference. The wire that handshakes the ECU is red/yellow so I cut out the connection and crimped a new one just in case it was dry inside the heat shrink. This did make a slight difference in that now when I turn on the ignition after pressing the disarm button on the fob I get a relay clicking sound from the 5AS unit a bit like an indicator relay going, on off on off for about 30 seconds. If I try starting during this time it fires then dies.
I tried every combination of long/short/repeated presses of the fob buttons with/without the ignition on and pressing buttons whilst turning the key. The 5AS is definitely reacting to fob button presses as you can here it click in response. Eventually it disarmed and started fine. Haven't a clue what I did to make it disarm. Now, it seems to stay disarmed as long as I don't press any buttons on the fob. I'm sure it used to arm automatically after a couple of minutes. If I press the disarm button it starts clicking again. Stops clicking after about 30 seconds or if I press the arm button. Much random pressing and it disarms again so I'm leaving well alone now. I've checked the fob battery and its fine.
Any ideas - frightened to press any buttons now!

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Re: 5AS Help -Spyder, mems 2.0
I leave my 5AS totally alone, never use it. I have a separate alarm/central locking and immobiliser system.

Once, I came out of work and the car started but stopped after few seconds then wouldn't run again. After much faff it turned out the 5AS had armed itself - even though i never carried the fob with me as I never used it. It seems they (the early ones) are susceptible to RF interference so I can only assume that's what it was.

Seen this?
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... mobiliser/
Dunno if it helps.
There's loads of other info online.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:03 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Sorted. I dismantled the fob and it seems the lock/arm button was randomly sticking down and when it was stuck on it couldn't disarm no matter how much the unlock button was pressed. Mashing the buttons must have freed it temporarily. I've now cleaned it all up and reassembled and seems to be working consistently again.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

frustrating but at least it was a nice cheap fix
Ian

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:23 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Great stuff Sanz.