It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:42 pm

New Owners 
GTM on order

GTM: Libra
Post New Owners
I have just become an owner of a Libra that has been undergoing a restoration over the last 5 years is nearly finished but has a few issues before it is something I am happy to start driving . It did drive here 18months ago for storage with a fresh MOT. Although it is now in my ownership other projects mean I will not be able to start the finish off /sorting out process until maybe mid next year. As with anything like this advice is always welcome to find specific solutions, this is the car .For instance I am not happy with the present Metro instrument cluster but without major electrical upheaval.
[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/J7NRdk4K/gtm-geoff.jpg][/img]

Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:58 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Post Re: New Owners

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:22 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Welcome. Looks pretty tidy. Fire away with any queries and I suspect someone will have the answers. I'm not quite sure what you were asking about the instruments. I think the original kits had options to either use the Metro pod or the bespoke GTM cluster. I think the dash top must have been different for the GTM version but not sure if the parts that differed are still available. I don't think the electrics can be a major issue to change.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:49 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Yes it has the original Metro pod with a rev counter and digital clock display but has come with no dash top (instrument) cover also had some white face stickers put on the face of the dials which is not nice . I would rather the GTM bespoke dash - can that still be bought or another black face metro pod and a dash top cover.
Would I wonder a Rover 200 1994 pod be interchangeable which has equal sizes rev counter & speedo dials and fuel & water gauges looks similar size with mechanical speedo drive would the electrics match up I wonder.Might mean some retrimming panels around it for a neat finish.

I also have the knock from the rear and what looks like a collapsed up side down mounting. The gearchange linkage also appears to knock against the floor.

Do we know Libra production dates start and finish chassis numbers start & finish and how many Libras were produced one imagines not a vast number. Thanks

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:40 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Not sure on dash availability. Maybe ask Westfield (don't hold your breath!)

Rear suspension knock - depends on which rear suspension you have. The earlier ones hinge the trailing arms using landrover track rod ends. These do wear out but are cheap and pretty easy to replace. If it is the later type with pillow joints there is a thread somewhere on here that has the part number of the joints.

Other reasons for rear end knocks can be engine mounts or the shocks running out of travel.

Gear change rattle - there is a reason why these are referred to as "rattle rods". Some have got them working well but I ditched mine and changed to cable change. Again, there is much info on here already so have a search. If you can't find what you are looking for ask again but maybe include some pictures of the problem areas so you can get specific responses.

I think I've read somewhere that around 140 Libras were made and 40 Spyders. Libra kits were supplied between 1998 and 2009. The last three numbers of the chassis number will be a clue to where in the production run it was. If it is something like 005 it is an early car, if 135 it is a late one!

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Thanks very much that is all very helpful. Looks like I have no 16 then

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Don't think you'll find a plug & play replacement for the Metro cluster. The option was a bespoke moulding & surround to take commercially availble gauges (Caerbont in my case) with GTM logos on the faces. The wiring haness has an inline connector so it can be swapped as an option. The cluster wiring is actually quite straightforward so shouldn't be an issue, making the physical install look tidy maybe a greater challenge! Guess an MGF cluster should be a good place to start, failing that someone like digitalspeedos.co.uk have lots of all in one style aftermarket clusters which could be integrated neatly if you have to make bits anyway.

Stew.

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Thanks all helps .

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I have a Libra instrument housing with the Metro instruments fastened to it .
If you are going to Stoneleigh I could bring it for you to have a look to see if it was of any use.

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 pm