It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:25 pm

clams 
GTM on order

Post clams
hi I am new to the forum, I have bought a Spyder some bits are missing including the clams, does anyone know of any moulds or where to get any from? I would even consider damaged clams. Also has anybody ever tried putting a Libra rear clam modified on a Spyder to make a Targa? any help would be much appreciated.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Re: clams
Hi Jamie. Welcome to GTM. I have a contact with Westfield who own the GTM Libra and Spyder and have just requested an update from them regarding the supply of parts for both the cars, so as soon as I get one I'll post on the forum.
So how much of the Spyder have you got... tub, suspension?????

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

hi thanks for your reply, yes that would be good, and I bought mine as a project as I always wanted a mid engine car. Its a mish mash of parts mainly the tub, with a lot of lotus parts and a V6 S4 Audi engine. Like I said what I need is the front and rear clams in any condition as they will need to be cut,widened and modified with large air ducts for intercoolers either side to fit but hopefully trying to keep it looking something close to a GTM but modified.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Aha, so somebody bought Dave Clare's "Big Lairy Spyder" - I was tempted a few month ago but decided it was too big a project for me. The clams may not be much use as from memory the rear was about 300mm longer and both will be about 150mm wider so something bespoke is probably required as I would have thought that even heavily modified originals would look odd.
The lotus Esprit front and rear suspension and Audi twin turbo V6 will make it incredible!

As you are Gloucestershire and I'm north of Bristol I'd love to take a look at what I nearly bought!!

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:38 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Hi yes I bought it off him its in my friends lock up at the moment until I can get some room to put it in my workshop, his intention was to make a complete set of new clams and he even had a large scale model carved out of foam to show what it was going to look like it was very Lambourginish, to be honest I haven't really decided what route to go down yet just looking at availability and prices of clams, was even considering going with Lotus clams so it ends up looking something like the Hennessey Venom. I really wanted to buy a set of clams as it would give me a starting point. They would need to be cut into quarters with large ducting for the intercoolers and also would have the correct fittings for the lighting etc. I don't think I would be able to do it from scratch as I am more of a fabricator than a bodywork man.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:24 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
I recommend you have a chat with Andy Westgate at Westgate Composites http://www.westgatecomposites.com/, he is a member of my local club and has done some really interesting fibreglass projects. I hear his rates are pretty reasonable too and I suspect he'd be willing to talk you through what would be involved for a beer or two!

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Ah Big Lairy!

I was very tempted and did look at Lotus bodywork. as you say whatever you use they would require quartering. Way beyond the time I have to play in the garage.

I would be very interested to see how you get on.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 am
Profile E-mail