It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:17 pm

PG1 Reverse Light Switch 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post PG1 Reverse Light Switch
My reverse lights haven't worked for years so having a bit of time on my hands I thought I'd check it out. As I swapped in a replacement engine and gearbox in September and the reverse light still didn't work I thought it must be something other than the switch in the gearbox as I thought the odds of two being dead were unlikely. So I put it on the "can't be arsed" pile. I'm working through that pile during lockdown!

I remembered I have another PG1 in my shed (came with the huge quantity of bits and bobs that came free with the car). I took the switch off that one and found that doesn't work either!

I went into diagnostic mode and found that I had 12v going into the switch but not coming out, even with reverse engaged. I bridged across the switch wires and the reverse light lit up - so it must be the switch and all three must have broken and it seem the rest of the circuit is all fine.

Found a switch on ebay, ordered on Monday evening and it came this morning! Great service. Fitted it and it works. Not quite that easy though as the light then came on in 2nd and 4th too! A sump plug washer is the perfect additional spacer so with that added the light now comes on only in reverse!

Anyway, point of sharing this is that it seems that these switches are a bit pants! At least they are easy to change though.

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: PG1 Reverse Light Switch
Should have left it like that would stop the tail gaters
Ian

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:22 pm
Profile E-mail