It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 pm

Libra/Spyder Front Clams - interesting chat with Westfield 
Looking like a GTM

Post Libra/Spyder Front Clams - interesting chat with Westfield
I had a chat with Patrick Costello at Westfield today about getting hold of a new front clam. We had a good chat and he was very helpful and positive. He is willing to make a case to his boss regarding a run of a minimum of 6 Spyder type clams, preferably in the same colour (which means most people would have to get them painted). He estimates that the cost will be approximately £1000 each. This is based on the cost of their Westfield Eleven front clam which he says is comparable.

in order to produce these, it will take 2 staff a couple of days to retrieve the moulds from storage, do whatever is necessary to make them functional and then make 6 panels. From a business perspective, I don't thank that six grand is too bad really.

The clams have a tendency to crack around the front hinge section and I'm sure that quite a few cars could really benefit from a replacement.

He already has two requests, I will have one (or maybe two) so if there are two or three more orders we may be able to get this done.

Is anyone interested?

Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Libra/Spyder Front Clams - interesting chat with Westfield
What colour are they thinking?
I’ve had prices for repairs for my front and rear clam to remove spider cracks, over Christmas period
Really need a rear clam preferably

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

It’s the same guy I talked to a few months back but hasn’t replied to my last email. Perhaps more people are enquiring which helps

nikvanorton wrote:
I had a chat with Patrick Costello at Westfield today about getting hold of a new front clam. We had a good chat and he was very helpful and positive. He is willing to make a case to his boss regarding a run of a minimum of 6 Spyder type clams, preferably in the same colour (which means most people would have to get them painted). He estimates that the cost will be approximately £1000 each. This is based on the cost of their Westfield Eleven front clam which he says is comparable.

in order to produce these, it will take 2 staff a couple of days to retrieve the moulds from storage, do whatever is necessary to make them functional and then make 6 panels. From a business perspective, I don't thank that six grand is too bad really.

The clams have a tendency to crack around the front hinge section and I'm sure that quite a few cars could really benefit from a replacement.

He already has two requests, I will have one (or maybe two) so if there are two or three more orders we may be able to get this done.

Is anyone interested?

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

The colour would have to be determined when we had six firm orders. He explained that it would be difficult to match older gelcoat colours so I would imagine that they would all need painting.

He said that the same would apply to rear clams - an order for six would be needed. We need 2 or 3 more fronts and I'd probably have a rear as well so that would be 5 more of those.

Patrick was very helpful and is genuinely interested in organising production, but we need firm orders to get things moving.

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

If anyone wants to place a firm order for a front or rear clam then please PM me.

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:44 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Will think about it I really want a coupe bonnet and if we have to paint them anyway may be easier to repair what I have

Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
I saw the ebay listing for the clams - clever way to drum up interest.

touching wood I believe my clam is okay. A few small gel coat cracks but all repairable so I'm not planning on getting a replacement.

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I wonder what sort of quality guarantee they are putting on a £1000 front? GTM Cars standard, or Westfield GTM standard. :wink:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Looking like a GTM

Ferg (861) wrote:
I wonder what sort of quality guarantee they are putting on a £1000 front? GTM Cars standard, or Westfield GTM standard. :wink:

My experience of Westfield quality (regarding Westfields) has been good and Patrick was genuinely keen to help.

I've been in business for quite some time and as far as I can see, there are much easier ways of earning (the profit on) six grand than having to recover stored moulds from off site, find factory space for them, refurbish them where necessary, produce a very small number of panels, arrange transport/distribute the panels and return the moulds to storage.

I don't think anyone at Westfield would be planning their retirement on the proceeds :)

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:33 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I only ask because the Westfield era GRP was quite poor compared to the original cars.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:54 pm
Part built GTM

Not in the market at the moment sorry.
It would be good however to collate where the cracking occurs and get Westfield to strenghen those areas
Very easy to do

Pete

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I originally booked in repairs to the front and rear clams for the middle of October onwards, how many are we upto regarding confirmed order before i cancel the paint shop?

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Unfortunately, I have been unable to get enough interest to get the numbers for Westfield to produce a run of clams. The wanted at least 6 orders for either fronts or rears and I have only had a request for one rear.

I'm sure that the offer will remain a possibility so if anyone wants a brand new clam please contact me and I will add your name to the list.

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:58 am
Profile E-mail