It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm

Front suspension bushes 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Front suspension bushes
Local supplier had nothing close to size needed but found 10mm bore 14mm od 500mm long for £21 on ebay so ordered that this should be enough to make 13. May try making most of it 13.5 to reduce friction but leave about 2mm at each end at 14mm to leave last bit tighter to keep lubricant in. Will be a while till I get time to do it will let you know how I get on. Bob if you can't get tubes from superflex to try I will send one of mine if they seem ok for you to compare. Hope some more people will be interested in set before you place the order

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:52 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Malcolm_Ball wrote:
Card thu' the letter box when You get back "We tried to deliver......" 2nd card "We tried again and have returned to sender"

:lol: Your most probably right but with a delivery of 4+weeks, if I leave it till I come back it will be Nov/Dec before we get them.
mark h wrote:
is it possible we were all supplied with the wrong size tubes

Mine are 14.2mm so they have always supplied 'oversize' tubes. I just think it's odd that the sample they sent me is 13.5mm.
mark h wrote:
Will the new bushes be exactly the same as the old ones dimensions

Yes they won't change from what's been supplied previously.

I hope to find time today to speak to Supaflex about payment.

Bob.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:54 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Had a phone call from Superflex last week, I should receive the bushes week commencing 9th Nov.

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:46 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Bob,

Sorry to revive an old thread but do you have a set of the front bushes available or are they all gone?

Cheers

Jamie

Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:42 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Jamie

Yes I still have some in stock, I've sent you a PM.

I can always order more if enough people want them [I have to place a minimum order of 100].

Bob.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:59 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

now I have the bushes thanks to Bob and Roger I have some more ideas on what I am going to do with them .I have calculated that the top arm bushes will have to move more because the top arm is shorter .gtm figures quote 60mm compression 70mm droop for suspension travel so total travel of130mm top arm length is 220mm so 130 divide by220 inv tan = 30 degrees maximum travel but because lower arm is longer 360mm is maximum travel is much less 20 degrees .I have realised that the that mini and metro had short top arms that have low friction needle roller bearing so there is more benefit to be gained from reducing friction in top arm bushes .I have recently phoned superflex about this because the top and bottom bushes arm the same for different load and angle changes .superflex didn't agree with my idea to reduce diameter of tubes because a slight interference fit helps to keep dirt out but did agree the lower bushes take most of the load and tend to wear first so I am now planning to just chamfer the ends slightly on the upper ones to reduce the friction on the bracket as they are under the least load but move the most

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Hi Mark,

I don't think the reason Minis and Metros have needle rollers is much to so with friction reduction -- due to the leverage ratio on the arm the inner mounting is reacting an enormous load that would crush a rubber bush.

Steve.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:25 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Bob

Sorry for bumping after 4 years but do you have any bush kits left? Just done a pre-MOT check and there's no way one of them is going to pass. If you don't have any left then I'll do the next group buy.

Thanks

Phil

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:45 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Phil,
sent you a pm.

Bob.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:28 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Having sold all the Superpro front suspension bushes that I purchased back in 2015, I had further enquires about them late last year. So, I have bitten the bullet and ordered another batch from Superpro. If you need to renew your suspension bushes (to original specification) please email or pm me on the forum and I’ll let you know the price (see my post in members area).

Bob Snooks
generalsec@gtmownersclub.co.uk

Attachments:
bushes.JPG
bushes.JPG [ 15.15 KiB | Viewed 6132 times ]

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Spyder
mark h wrote:
. . . I have realised that the that mini and metro had short top arms that have low friction needle roller bearing so there is more benefit to be gained from reducing friction in top arm bushes.
Replying to this old post to clear up a possible misconception for current readers. The Mini has needle rollers in the top arm because the spring force (rubber or hydrolastic) is applied to the top arm near the inner pivot. Because of the high motion ratio, the spring force and therefore the force othrough the inner bushes is several times the force at the tyre contact patch and would overload rubber bushes if used. Same for rear suspension on (original) minis. So, it's not about friction.

Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:05 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Was there any final conclusion regarding the O/D of the metal tubes - 13.5mm or 14mm?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:45 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I thought the conclusion was that you re-use your existing tubes as GTM supplied different sizes at different times. When I changed my suspension bushes, I tried 13.5 mm tubes but (most probably my imagination) it felt sloppy so I changed back to the 14.2mm tubes.

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

One of my top front wishbone bush assemblies has about 2-3mm of play in it and I'm trying to get the parts together in advance of stripping it down so it's not off the road waiting for bits. I have bushes but want to have a tube and bolt to hand as well.

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:35 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

My tubes are deffo 13.5mm OD.

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:22 pm
Profile E-mail