It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 pm

Alternative wheels - MGF "Hairpins" ?? 
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Alternative wheels - MGF "Hairpins" ??
As above really, has anyone fitted a set of MGF Trophy Hairpin wheels on their GTM ??

Any pictures ??

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:55 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Alternative wheels - MGF "Hairpins" ??
Hi Phil, as far as I know the hairpin wheels weren't fitted to trophy's as standard and as the trophy had the AP 4 pots they would have clashed. I've read on MGF forums that hairpins are a bit better than many of the other styles in that they only need 5mm spacers to clear the AP 4 pots whereas many of the other styles need 10mm plus spacers. The only ones that fit over them without spacers are the two different types of 11 spokes, the standard trophy 11 spokes and the later TF160 11 spokes..

With regard to how they look, I've never seen them on a GTM so can't comment.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Thanks Sanz.

I bow to your knowledge of MGF wheels and brakes - my car has 16 inch 11 spokes currently and I believe R200 front sliding callipers so that shouldn't be a problem.

I wondered what the hairpins would look like on the car - more a thought exercise than a statement of intent !!

Phil.

Edited to add: again, more as a thought experiment than intent, has anyone fitted the two-piston MGTF front calipers rather than the four-piston ones ??

Do they have the same clearance problems ??

Phil.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

If you type in gtm libra wheels in google images you should see some pictures of hair pin wheel on libras and should also see a set with tyres on for sale that came of a libra that had a engine fire in a breakers in boston so not to far from you.The ones i have seen at shows had a thin spacer to clear the 4pot brakes

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

mark h wrote:
If you type in gtm libra wheels in google images you should see some pictures of hair pin wheel on libras and should also see a set with tyres on for sale that came of a libra that had a engine fire in a breakers in Boston so not to far from you.The ones i have seen at shows had a thin spacer to clear the 4pot brakes

Thanks Mark.

I did see those wheels but didn't realise they were hairpins to be honest - I think the colour made me think there were another type of wheel, but now you mention it..........

I really need to stop day-dreaming about things and get the car both watertight and retrimmed before I start thinking of wheel, brakes etc.

Phil.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I am trying to reduce weight on my Spyder. The 11 spoke wheels with tyres weigh 20 kg each. Including spare that's 100 kg on a car that only weighs 8xx kg.

Are there any 15" wheels that clear the AP calipers? Any comments on the pros and cons of 15"?

Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

15" wheels will not fit over AP's, my std 16" ones only just fit inside-diameter-wise.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I used hairpins on mine. 3mm spacer required to clear the AP 4 pots. Loads of pictures on the interweb of my old black Libra I had them on anthracite and silver.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/ ... it_to_www=

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Spider wrote:
I am trying to reduce weight on my Spyder. The 11 spoke wheels with tyres weigh 20 kg each. Including spare that's 100 kg on a car that only weighs 8xx kg.

Are there any 15" wheels that clear the AP calipers? Any comments on the pros and cons of 15"?

You can just about fit the AP's behind Compomotive MO though the caliper needs a massage. I had them on my Rover 100 VVC

A picture of the Reyland Metro on Compomotives site. https://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels.as ... =mo5-26-13

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

You mean a 15" MO? Which model did you have?

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:34 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Yes 15" Mo. The ones that are on the Compomotive website with a picture of a Tro

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I thing i would go for lightest 16 inch wheels internet said 11 spoke are about 9.7 kg hair pins and others are around 7.5kgs 15 inch may cause other problems bigger sidewall tyre needed to keep gearing same with put some weight back on may not have correct off set most seem to only available with bigger offset and most are narrower so will need narrower tyres to suit

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

It sounds like a matter of "bite the bullet" and pay the money for Team Dynamics or similar if you desperately need to save a couple of kg per wheel.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:27 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

My Locost has OZ superleggera and they feel incredibly light (15"). Looking it up, in 16" the OZ are 6.7kg, Team Dynamics 1.2s are 7.3kg so something like the OZ are likely to be as light as you can go. Tyres vary in weight quite a bit too. The same rims with slicks mounted feel much lighter than with road tyres but maybe a bit extreme for a daily driver :wink:

I've just checked and although no longer made the OZ Superleggera in 15" are only 4.9kg each! no wonder they feel light.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:56 am
Profile E-mail