It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Paul's libra 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Paul's libra
I have put some of the parts back on the front of the car it's starting to look like a car again

Image Image

how can you tell which side of the car to put the top wishbones on it looks right so can only assume it's right

Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:44 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
The ball joints on the hub uprights are tapered, so the bushes where they fit into are also tapered, not see one in the flesh only going by your pictures.
John

Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:58 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Yes the top wishbones have a tapered hole at the top of the A where the hub top ball joint goes, so they only fit correctly one way round.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:48 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

the top arms can be fitted wrong left to right but not upside down due to the taper as previously mentioned the build manual said they can fitted wrong they should be fitted the way that puts the top balljoint as far back as possible to give the correct amount of caster angle as far as i can tell from pictures yours look ok.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

mark h wrote:
the top arms can be fitted wrong left to right but not upside down due to the taper as previously mentioned the build manual said they can fitted wrong they should be fitted the way that puts the top balljoint as far back as possible to give the correct amount of caster angle as far as i can tell from pictures yours look ok.

thanks, mark
the 11/10/99 build manual I have is not all that clear on how you can tell

Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:57 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I'm still trying to sort out the wiring loom for the Libra.

Image Image

I thought the K3 was hard with the two rover metro and the mgf mems3, but the Libra, well I think it would have been quicker to start again.
I think it's a Rover Metro main loom with GTM instrument gauges loom, then there is a GTM bit down the middle/front/back, then a Rover 25 engine loom
and they all change color under the black tape.
I don't know how but the back left-hand indicator would have had to be on for the fuel pump to run.
This was changed at some point. that was fun working that out

Image Image

just look at the last two photos nice and clear!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:46 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I have put the front on the car just temporarily to test fit the wiring loom also the master brake servo it will all have to come off again the loom needs to be taped up

Last edited by catsam on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:21 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The indicator and fuel pump wires are VERY similar colours one green/white the other white/green IIRC so easy to mix up. I recall when trying to get my engine going 1st time all them years ago i couldn't understand why it won't run the fuel pump. I had got the wires mixed up but did not realise for a while as i had no indicators connected otherwise i would have seen them light up and it would have made me recheck.

Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
You might be onto something there sidewinder.

Fuel pump only works when you indicate,,,,,, that will soon fix those drivers who do not indicate. :lol:

Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:56 am
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
WEST wrote:
You might be onto something there sidewinder.

Fuel pump only works when you indicate,,,,,, that will soon fix those drivers who do not indicate. :lol:

Maybe its like that already in France and why they keep their indicators on all the time on the autoroute?

Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I have finally got all the pipes and cables in the tunnel and the fuel tanks in. there is a lot of work in getting this lot in the car

Image Image

I have fitted the radiator and battery box just to see where all the wires have to go I still need to add some more wire two relays and tape the loom up with some black loom tape

Image Image

I am looking at the arb for the front. well, the lake of one before I got too much put back on the front and have to take it all off to fit one. has anyone found anywhere to make them or do I have to find some Spanners

Last edited by catsam on Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Just about any spring works could make one but you would need plans or a sample.

Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:16 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I had some made by Alan Gow who used to make them for gtm. After i had them a while i found out they were wrong diameter both should be 18mm but found i had 19mm front and 20mm rear .The wrong rear one i thought would be the biggest problem as thought is would cause to much oversteer so got i touch with a firm i read about in compete kit car called tube bender they could only bend 16mm bar so i sent them i full size drawing of the one i had they made in 16mm then i made plates with the holes for the drop links and got a friend to weld them on this was ok except the 16mm bar they used was not very round so not ideal for where the d bushes fit i.I can try to do you full size drawing of my front one so you can get one made if you find some one who can bend 18mm bar
Mark

Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

It's hard to see but a lot has been done to the car.

The whole front had to come off so I could fit the A.R.B that I made. it bolts to the bulkhead of the car and you can not get it on with the front in the way.

Image Image

all the bolts are all done up I hope I do not have to undo any of them again. the pipes are all done for the radiator and the heater. we have also put the heater inside the car and the washer bottle and jets

Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:42 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Nice solution. What size torsion tube did you go with? Are you doing a rear one too?

Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next