It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dino's Coupe 
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Dino's Coupe
The other Tim wrote:
What do the rules say about the column and dash rail thing

Well that's a bit of a debatable point, as I'm sure I shouldn't put a hole through any of the roll bars (although I can't actually find any rule that explicitly says I shouldn't!)

The relevent section on 'Historic Special Stage Rallies' is 'Safety'. Para 288 says Para 277 is replaced with Para 299 [great so far isn't it!] 'Vehicles must be fitted with a safety roll over bar to C(c)31-36, C(c) Appendix 2 Drawing 37 dotted lines signify optional features The bars must remain within the confines of the passenger compartment and must not be used as suspension pick up point bracing unless the competitor can prove that this was done in period to the specific model.'

So the 'Transverse reinforcing member' is optional.... so I'm arguing that what I've got is not a part of the cage, it's just a mounting for the column and I can therefore do what I like!

Don't bank on it though, it's definately open to debate and I haven't studied the 'non-historic' section (ie Para 277 etc.) so I'm not sure if you can do this with a post '74 car.

Fri May 09, 2008 1:41 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Cheers Dino :wink: I have a sneeky suspicion :idea: it was Performance Protection at Race Retro that made the comment regarding dash rails and columns.

Fri May 09, 2008 8:22 am
Ready for SVA

Hi Tim,
Performance Protection have a good rep. so I'd be tempted to listen to them!

I've had another look and the nearest reference I can find in the Blue Book is; C(c)19 Transverse Reinforcing Members: '....Any transverse member fixed to the front roll bar must not encroach upon the Driver's and Co-Driver's space. It must be placed as high as possible but it's lower edge must not be higher than the top of the dashboard.'

It doesn't explicity refer to column placement but does have relevance.

I had originally intended to mount the column above the bar, I changed it because, in my case, it would have reduced the space above your knees (so falling foul of the above rule. (it was OK for me, but did made it harder to get in and out if you have long legs).
I din't want to push the bar up anymore than it is now, as I felt it would then interfere with the instruments ie it would have pushed the whole dash up.

Ironically the simplest way to avoid falling foul of the regs is probably to just leave the bar off completely!

Fri May 09, 2008 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

Cheers Dino, there seem to be so many grey area's :? :? :?

Fri May 09, 2008 11:25 am
Ready for SVA

Indeed, it's not called the 'blur book' for nothing !

Fri May 09, 2008 11:29 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Ref Rollcage

Im in discussions with RAC MSA trying to find out what they will accept in terms of an approval of a roll cage design to meet the needs of Stage Rallying. So far they have not been very helpfull. Moresoever the regulations are changing 31st December 2008 so that obtaining a logbook will have to go through a category 3 approval route which includes having detail specification presented for their consideration, SVA documentation, dynamometer results and weighbridge data. All sounds protracted and full of problems, then there is the cost.....! A scrutineer who will remain nameless said ' the RAC don't like kit cars, they are are doing thier damnest to outlaw them'.

On a more positive note, the outfit in Skipton, Performance and Protection, have been very helpfull. Andy Robinson has also come across as being quite knowledgable and familiar with the coupe albeit twice the price.

Has anybody out there got a cage in a logbooked car for stage rallying?

Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Peter Wilcock wrote:
Ref Rollcage
...Has anybody out there got a cage in a logbooked car for stage rallying?

I know of at least one, Dean Thomas who has a much modified coupe, I've PM'ed you his email.
This is his web site:
http://www.gtmhonda.co.uk/index2.html

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Well a bit of an update, over the summer I've stripped off the paint and repaired the many cracks and crazing.
Moulded some door pockets and sorted out the latches.

And...shock horror painted the shell!

Looks a bit better now I think.
My neighbours have started noticing that it's a car!

Over the last few weeks I've been working on the dash and trimming the interior, but I won't show you that until it's a bit more finished.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:20 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

Thats brilliant Dino, a world of difference compared to your first pictures :) :shock:

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:00 am
On the Road

Looks great!
Just a note of caution. The expanded metal mesh you are using across the radiator aperture does not let as much airflow through as you might think. 1/4" square stainless mesh is much better.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:45 am
Ready for SVA

the other Tim wrote:
Thats brilliant Dino, a world of difference compared to your first pictures :) :shock:

Thanks Tim, I must say I'm pleased. A couple of people have asked me if it's new which is nice. :D

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:51 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

gtmdriver wrote:
Looks great!
Just a note of caution. The expanded metal mesh you are using across the radiator aperture does not let as much airflow through as you might think. 1/4" square stainless mesh is much better.

Ah, that's interesting. I don't really know of course - is cooling an issue. ie do I need to maximise everything to keep it cool?
BTW The pipework is 28mm and the rad I was thinking of using is Maestro I believe?
Also need to sort out a fan, I was thinking of using something that pushes fitted to the front of the rad.
Any thoughts?

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:58 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Dino wrote:
Also need to sort out a fan, I was thinking of using something that pushes fitted to the front of the rad.
Any thoughts?

Looking good chap, and yeah go for a pusher i have, gives you a little more room at the rear of the rad giving more room to tilt/jiggle the postion of the rad to gain maximum clearance i.e ground clearance, my rad just clears the ramp for getting into the parents workshop :shock:

WEST

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:14 pm
The Terrible Tims

Dino, i think you'll have more than enough cooling with a Maestro rad. We ran a well modded 1.0 Mini using an alloy mk2 Fiesta rad mounted in the front and no fan at all (it was never needed, anyway there was'nt enough room :!: ) I'm sure the Maestro rad has more capacity than a Fiesta and you'll have a fan for insurance.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:04 pm
GTM delivered

Hi Dion,

I must say that you have done a fantastic job! Your 1-3 Heerey GTM is looking great! A quick update for you about my Heerey GTM, I have found the JA Pearce wheels for the GTM and also got the Commer door handles. These are the same as on the Lotus elite Mk1. I think you have the same on your car. Got also two period Corbeau GT seats, from the late sixties for the car. Work will start around december this year, with restoring the chassis. No papers yet, but time will bring some solutions I'm sure.

Keep us informed about your great project!

Regards,

Michiel

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next