It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

Handbrake 
Looking like a GTM

Post Handbrake
I have been looking over the car and note that the handbrake main cable has been cut and shut using cable clamps (metal bolt type) two of them in side the car under the centre console trim so the MOT man won't see that one BUT the near side rear cable has been done in the same way using three clamps and are on show when the MOT man gets under the car. Is there not a better solution? I don't know what cables have been used as I have no build manual or paperwork whatsoever for the car (not even the V5 as yet).
Is it a case of going to Speedy cables and having new cables made to order or is there a standard item I can go and get that will fit?

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:06 am
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Probably your best long term solution is to get a set of MGF rear calipers, with the built in handbrake and a set of cables and a handbrake too. Doesn't take much modification to change them over and you will have a proper mechanism then.

The cables that you have on at the moment are (I think) metro, but because the lengths are wrong, you need to shorten them, hence the cut and shut on it.

I wouldn't want to trust the 2CV pads too much, as they can, when worn, slip out of the caliper, leaving you with no handbrake.

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:16 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

My experience of this is the 'fabricated' handbrake caliper had enough tolerence to let the hand brake pad slip out once it was worn down a bit. :!:

I've gone for the Rover 820 rear calipers. The other option is the GTM kit that allows the use of Rover 200/400 rear calipers.

The MGF / 820 route appears to be a little easier from what I've seen.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:13 pm
Looking like a GTM

I take it that the modified rear calipers are fairly easy to recognise, I'll have a look over the Christmas period if I'm allowed. By the sounds of it at least it isn't a major issue to over come so once I know what I have on the back I can source 820 or MGF rear calipers as I don't like the idea of pads moving about. Would also be the right time to get the MG handbrake installed.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:01 am
GTM on order

I got a quote from Dudley @ Talon Sportcars to have my K3 modified to accept the MGF discs and alloys. He quoted £500 to modify the subframe and fit the discs and hydraulics. On top of that you would need MGF wheels and tyres.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:05 pm
On the Road

I made my own cables for the Coupe. What exactly are you looking for? Are they totally unique or are they shortened versions of standard cables?

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:29 pm
On the Road

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:25 pm
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: Handbrake
Just on the off chance, does anyone know if the 200 series rear calipers, handbrake and discs fit the metro. Just spotted a set on evilbay not too far away and very cheap.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:37 pm
On the Road

The origional Libra rears were (I think) from 200 / 400 series.
I think they needed a set of spacers - I might have a set of these in the garage - as far as I remember You also needed to tap the metro hub.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:11 pm
Looking like a GTM

gtmdriver, the cables I have are shortened by cutting the cable at the rear and reattaching using three small clamps, the same has been done inside the "transmission tunnel" for the main cable using two slightly larger clamps. I'm just not sure if the MOT man will allow it and as they are in full view when you are under the car and the MOT man usually has someone in the car operating the handbrake while he looks at all the components he will definately see it. I have for the moment covered it up with a piece of black conduit to make it look less obvious. I'm not that bothered as it obviously works and the wife will not be doing any handbrake turns in it but I would like to sort something else out for the future.
If this is the "standard" mod for the Rossa then my only real alternative will be to have someone like speedy cable make me a custom set of cables.
Malcolm, I take it that the Libra uses the metro disc,s and hubs with the 200 series calipers modified to suit. The ones I'm looking at are complete hubs and calipers, can these not replace the metro hubs as a complete unit. If not the price they are at the moment I may just buy them and use the calipers on their own, at least I would have a handbrake that the pads can't come out of when they have worn down a bit (previous posting someone said the 2cv pads can come adrift :shock: ).

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:46 am
On the Road

If they are standard car cables but shortened I may be able to do that for you. It all depends what fitting you need on the end to replace the clamps you have at the moment. Could you post a photo of your present set up?

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:43 am
Looking like a GTM

Gtmdriver, haven't ignored your offer, just been busy and to cap it all my daughter wrote her Quantum off two days ago by rolling it twice (she is fine just bruised a bit).
Anyway, I have just got the K3 through it's MOT but the hand brake gave up just as the test was finishing so now will look for a set of calipers with integral handbrake to replace the existing set up.
One major set back with the existing set up is that I have to remove the seats to get the centre console out to get to the adjuster, so will sort a different way of holding the centre console in place for the future.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:47 pm
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
If you use a set of rear calipers form something like an MGF, they have self adjustment, so you shouldn't need to get to the handbrake as much.

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:35 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi,
Can anyone kindly tell me what is involved fitting the MGF rear calipers to replace the Metro ones on my K3? Is there anything documented anywhere? The handbrake is useless, currently.
Does it upset the braking balance if you stay with the metro ones on the front?
John

Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I am interested in this too as I am in the process of trying to sort out a K3. The fixing centres of the metro calipers seem to be about 83mm anyone know what the 200/400/600/820/MGF are? Would be nice to be able to retain the original wheels if possible?
Thanks Peter
I wouldn't be worried about using cable clamps on the cables, they are used a lot on other kit cars and SVA ok.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 pm
Profile E-mail