It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:47 pm

Rossa help 
GTM delivered

Post Rossa help
Hi, just wandering if someone can help me.

Ive just recently bought a gtm rossa :D and im not sure which mk it is, it also came with the build manual but there was no chassis number written in it, does anyone know where the chassis plate is supposed to be.

Also it doesnt seem like its been on the road or even completely finnished for that matter, but it came with a mini log book that the guy i bought it off said that it was the doner car that was used so does this mean im going to have to SVA test it :?.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Rossa help
It is the IVA test now. If you haven't got a correctly registered V5, then you'll need to get through the test. :roll:

I think the easiest way to tell which mark is by Mk1 and 2 are A series powered, Mk3 (K3) is K series. I'm fairly sure that the bonnet is mounted differently on the Mk1 and 2. I'm sure someone can shed some more light on that though.

You just need to go through the regs and see what needs to be done BEFORE you start work on it.

Good Luck. :wink: :D

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:10 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks, much apreciated.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Rossa
I think the most obvious difference between Mk 1 & Mk2 Rossa's are the rear lights. If they are the smaller square Metro lights set on the outside corners its a Mk2. If they have the bigger horizontal one across the bak its a Mk1. Mk 3's have the "Clam Shell" fron and rear openings hinged at the front and back, Mk1's & 2s have them hinged in-board of the central tub.

Fiesta Everyday Drive

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Mk1

Mk2

I'm currently trying to build a Mk1 Rossa for IVA and it's a bit of a pain to be honest. You can follow my adventures elsewhere on this forum but mainly in 'Projects' The main points that require changing are the brakes (need to be dual circuit) door glass (needs to be 'E' marked, kite mark is no use) petrol tank (filler must be external so opening the bonnet to fill it is no good) edges (must have a radius of at least 2.5mm) etc etc etc.................. The steering column should be collapsible but a collapsible steering wheel boss is acceptable provided that the column has an offset linkage at the bottom (mine is Allegro) I have managed to deal with most of these points so shout before you start. There is quite a good book on IVA available from Kit Car magazine and you'll get the details of how to get it if you pick up a copy of the mag in your local WH Smith 'library' :wink: However, it deals with building new kits and is lacking in sufficient detail for ours so you need to go on to the DVLA site and download a copy of the manual which I have printed off but it's something like 200 pages :shock: It then becomes a case of sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

The chassis number is on a separate plate which you fix somewhere on the car BUT it's no use either :roll: The chassis number must be 17 digits long and engraved on the main tub in letters no less than 3.5mm high (I think it is) so.......just compose your own. I made mine up ending in 31A which is my original number and you can translate the new number to read GTM Rossa MK1 December 1987 chassis 31A if you know how to :mrgreen: As long as nobody else has the same thing you're ok. You also need the same number on a plate that shows the maker and that gets fixed to the body somewhere so just knock out your own with a set of letter punches on a piece of aluminium.

Make absolutely sure that the engine number matches the one in the log book as it is very important to be able to prove the age of the engine for emissions purposes - if you can't then the latest regs apply and you'll need cats, fuel injection and lord knows what else.

Whatever else you do, get the manual mentioned above downloaded and study each section before starting on the car. I spent a lot of cash and effort on things that I had to change.

Finally - Good Luck :D

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:01 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

wow, ok, thats really helpfull information. Looks like im going to have to do some homework lol :roll: .

Thanks, Dan.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:51 am
Profile E-mail