It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:55 am

Radiator change 
Part built GTM

GTM: Spyder
Post Radiator change
Has anyone upgraded the standard radiator on a Spyder. Just had a pretty full on big of work done, pipe work re-arranged, prt moved and a new head gasket. Now think the existing metro rad is right on its limit for cooling. Also think existing fan just about enough. May be being paranoid but running at a rock steady temperature at the moment but feel the next upgrade should be better fan or fans and a better rad.

What has anyone done before I go off spending cast amounts on bespoke radiators.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Radiator change
I have an uprated radiator from a v6 but not sure what v6.
I believe some people have upgraded to a vw passat radiator but think this does need a bit of pipework altering at the front.
Matty

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Here we go.
http://www.drawmer.net/libra/radiator.htm

libra-radiator-t604.html

This page need to scroll down a bit
my-gtm-libra-re-build-t606.html

Matty

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I have the drawmer car with these pictures if you need further info. I'm running a supercharged type r engine and doesn't over heat, in fact i struggle getting it above 80degrees in traffic when its a hot day. Under normal driving it is closer to 65 degrees so i think it is a brilliant setup especially with the power i'm pushing

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Colin, sounds the way forward will investigate further. Thanks

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I know it isn't a Libra but I fitted an MGF radiator into the front on my K3 which, with the PRT setup I also fitted, keeps it running just below half way on the gauge and rock solid no matter what I'm doing with it.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Is it the radiator size,or could it be slow flow rate,as the coolant has to travel to the front and back again.Would something like this help or even be better : http://www.mawsolutions.com/html/ewp80.html

Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Another possible solution for overheating issues and one that I'm currently considering/comparing in my mind with a radiator upgrade is changing to waterless coolant (Evans, may be others too?). A couple of people in the Bristol Kit Car Club have gone down that route and swear by it. As it has a much higher boiling point it continues to cool the engine well at temperatures where a water based coolant would have boiled over. Water based coolants will boil at around 100 degrees without pressure but in the system the pressure keeps it from boiling until around 115. Engines run best at around 90-95 so a very narrow window between optimum temperature and boiling over. Also, even though the overall system may not be boiling its not uncommon to get the water directly in the waterways in the engine boiling and this leads to pressure in the system even when the water elsewhere in the system is still well below. This actually leads to the engine itself being hotter as the coolant in the waterways cavitates and then fails to take the heat away. The waterless coolant doesn't boil until something like 180 degrees and continues to cool the engine well even when its at those temperatures.

Unfortunately its not a cheap option - especially for mid engine/front radiator as there is a lot of coolant in the system and the stuff costs about £65 for 5l. For a westfield you can get away with one 5l bottle but the Libra/Spyder would need 2. You also have to flush it out with a special hygroscopic flush to get all the water out and that not cheap either - likely to end up costing more than the radiator swap but from what I'm told it would probably then actually work more efficiently even with the smaller rad.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330843639398? ... EBIDX%3AIT

The Passat rad is only £36

I don't see the point of waterless coolant. If the radiator and water pump are man enough then ordinary coolant is fine.

I did many track days in my old Libra and never had cooling issues even on hot days. I had a Loughborough rad but the Passat is just as good.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:45 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
The fans should only kick in in heavy traffic at low speed.

The airflow across the radiator from the cars speed should have the majority of cooling.

waterless coolant in the uk? with a slightly tuned engine, little overkill in my opinion, but its your money, if it makes you happy and it doen't hurt anyone then go for it.

Emperors new clothes comes to mind.

The owner isn't

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

roger wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330843639398?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Passat rad is only £36

Good spot - at that price that's my decision made - I've ordered one! I was struggling with the cost of the waterless and what might happen if you got a leak and had to watch £130 pour down the road!!!

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Surely if you are running a rock steady temperature your set up is perfect?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Waterless coolant is an interesting one - it does have some issues of it's own (slightly higher viscosity being one which can make bleeding a pain).

I've never personally used it but I can see the advantage of a lack of pressurisation & localised boiling which you get with water based coolant. It does make the whole setup more tolerant of excursions & cuts down possible problems of over pressurisation etc.

The vag rads are excellent value & extremely light. They have a whole range of rads which vary in height (I've used Golf ones before too - I had one as a charge cooler radiator on a previous car I built). I also put one in my old libra.

The other item to mention is the cooling fan & shrouding. The key is to minimise the chances of hot air recirculating from the fan discharge, around the rad & back through the core as this can give big issues when the car is static & there is no 'ram' effect. OEMs put a lot of effort into sealing the front ends to achieve this. Similar with the fan shrouds too as they give a much bigger 'bang for buck' for a given fan size. Problem on the Libra is fitting a suitable fan & shroud in with the spare wheel / battery holder.

Stew.

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Just ordered the rad, great value at £36 delivered. I have also decided on a twin fan set up like they do on the Lotus upgrades and also going to fit an electric water pump with timer. Might seem overkill but following the major engine re-build earlier in the year rather be safe than sorry.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Making progress with my winter upgrades - got the rad housing off and have now altered it to fit the Passat rad.
These pics show the Passat rad alongside the Metro rad - 20% more area and twice as thick.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:56 pm
Profile E-mail