It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

Using custom Mini subframes for different engines? 
Part built GTM

Post Using custom Mini subframes for different engines?
Hello all

This has probably been asked before but could not find many posts regarding such things.

Basically with so many different ready-made subframes available now for the Mini from the likes of Allspeed I was wondering if these would fit straight into the back of the Coupe? My thought is if they are designed to fit under a roundnose with the same track etc as the standard car then perhaps they would fit the Coupe too?

I have seen the Honda engined car owned by West but have read that he modified/made his own subframe. I have also seen other honda conversions but do not know what subframes were used.

I don't actually own a coupe yet so I am probably missing something very obvious which inhibits the use of such subframes but just wanted to ask

Thanks

Rob

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:46 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Using custom Mini subframes for different engines?
One of the biggest problems is how some frames require an extended front which of course changes the wheel base of the coupe. TheJones is using an allspeed frame in his coupe but I think from memory that too is changing the wheel base slightly. Also with some frames I imagine they are very different at the front cross member, which may cause some issues on a GTM, on the normal mini frame the front cross member bolts directly to the bulkhead, another consideration how the frame will actually fit and how to fit the frame to the GTM chassis.

Neil

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:45 pm
Part built GTM

I thought it wouldn't be straight forward!

I thought the mini subframe attached to the coupe via the tower bolts alone but obviously not.

West your car is really cool by the way and I really love the fact that you have had it so long and had it evolve with you and your driving experience/requirements.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:18 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The rear mounted front subframe mounts into the rear framework on the tower bolts and the front mountings.

Although I was using the mini engine I made up my own suframes and had everything galvanised. That may be the way to go for a non-standard engine unit

Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:41 pm
Part built GTM

Cool thanks for the pictures. That set-up looks very nicely put together.

To be honest when I finally get my hands on a Coupe I wouldn't change the engine anyway as I don't really have the skills/money to do it. I have had the A-series in my Minis since I first bought one and as far as the actual engine goes I think they are fine, it's such a shame about the gearbox though. :(

Rob

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:14 pm
Profile E-mail