It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:45 pm

Hondata Engine Management 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Hondata Engine Management
Is anybody on this site an expert in Hondata engine management systems, or can they point me towards an expert.

I have been in touch with an oufit who have been enthusiastically encouraging me with this stuff but they have now realised that my ECU is not listed by Hondata and that I would need to upgrade my basic ECU before I could apply any Hondata modifications. They have offered to look at my car but they are in Kent and I live north of Birmingham, I do not want to trailer it to Kent.

I have been told that there in a Hondata firm in the east midlands - but I cannot remember the name.

Regards

David

Porsche 968 Coupe
Radical PR6

Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:47 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

Post Re: Hondata Engine Management
Cue Neil re Hondata :wink: Alternatively your existing ecu can be socketed and then remapped.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:23 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

I will try and get back to you later, at work at the minute

I run Hondata myself and do all my tuning myself

Neil

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:44 pm
Ready for SVA

the other Tim wrote:
Cue Neil re Hondata :wink: Alternatively your existing ecu can be socketed and then remapped.

The problem they have just identified is that my ECU "does not feature in Hondata lists".

David

Porsche 968 Coupe
Radical PR6

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

So I Imagine you talked to CPL in Kent.

What are your plans David, As the D16 can be made to pick up a few extra ponnies quite easily without having to resort to a fully mappable ECU, also many put out a little more than hondas 130hp with simple airfilter/exhaust mods.

Your current ECU im guessing is a PM7? Hondata is for OBD1 spec cars yours will be OBD0 spec, this is not a major problem and can be overcome hence you ecu is not on the Hondata List.

Options are.
Convert to OBD1 and Hondata.
Omex/emerald or simular might need a change of some sensors.
Chip your current ECU [Some of the D16 ecus can be done some cannot depending which car they came from] and use a rom editor such as BRE, this will be the cheapest option.

It all depends what your looking for and what your plans are. I went Hondata due to future plans and it is used to datalog my drag runs, and controls things such as my nitrous oxide sytem, so I am always playing with the settings which is where Hondata is very easy. If you are just going to do a few small mods and not need all the extras of datalogging/changing the mapping every event then just the chip option might be better value.

Another resoan I went Hondata is I like a job done right first time, so I payied for it from the outset knowing I would eventually be using more and more of the avaialbe options as my car gets more modified.

neil

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:14 pm
Ready for SVA

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your note.

I have been talking to CPL in Kent and as you rightly say they have identified my ECU as OBDO and say it needs changing/modifying in order to work with Hondata. To sort this out they need to see the car, which means taking it on its trailer to Sheerness.

So really I was
a) Looking for a nearer dealer - preferably West Midlands
b) Asking what can Hondata actually do for my engine. It has a different air intake on it and a different exhaust system although I suspect that the exhaust manifold is standard Honda. I guess that in the long term I would expect (if possible) to change the cams, get some work done on the head and possibly change to throttle bodies. But in the short term, would installing Hondata increase the power at all or does it "only" allow you to tune the engine to other modifications?

Regards

David

Porsche 968 Coupe
Radical PR6

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Hi Neil,

If you can spare a moment to advise me I would be grateful.

David

Porsche 968 Coupe
Radical PR6

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:41 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Will try to answer tomorrow, the world of F1 has taken over and this has taken all my time silly hours, working this weekend etc.

Neil

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:59 pm
Ready for SVA

Neil,

I am sorry to be a nuisance - if you could recommend someone i can talk to about this extract from your last mail then that would help me.

"Chip your current ECU [Some of the D16 ecus can be done some cannot depending which car they came from] and use a rom editor such as BRE, this will be the cheapest option."

Cheers

David

Porsche 968 Coupe
Radical PR6

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:10 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

Have a search on CRX-uk, there are guys on there who will socket an ecu for you. I believe Eximinous has done them in the past.

Could be worth checking which ecu you have, , ie:- pp4, pp5 or whatever. There has been a couple already socketed sold on there recently.

Hope you are following the 165 thread.

Last edited by the other Tim on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:46 pm
Ready for SVA

I have no idea what the 165 thread is????????????????

David

Porsche 968 Coupe
Radical PR6

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:56 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

165bhp d16a9 thread on CRX-uk in the engine & transmission section, sorry i thought you were a registered member :oops:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:13 pm
Ready for SVA

Thanks,
I do seem to have registered some while ago. I have read the 165 thread with interest, I think I will take it on a rolling road and see what it is currently doing as a starting point. I have put a reply on the 165 thread.

Thanks

David

Porsche 968 Coupe
Radical PR6

Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:40 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

David,
I added a little post on your behalf, hope you don't mind!

As suggested in the thread a compression test to give you an idea of the motors health might be a good idea as well as the baseline dyno run.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

David

Get your car on a rolling road, it may surprise you, D16s have been known to put out a little more than book figures espcially with better exhausts etc. I can recomend Eurospec in Guildford, have had mine on their road and it is accurate,failing that find someone locally with a dyno dynamics rolling road I was very impressed with that make and will be hiring one myself, I did a course at eurospec and have been invited back to use their rolling road and tune my own car myself, hopefully soon.

The addition of Hondata/chip etc will allow you to fine tune your current set up and find a few HP, quite possibly more midrange. You may not find much more power tho, the real benefit will come when you start getting more radical such as Cams head work/throttle bodies/compression.

Throttle Bodies can be tricky to tune, not impossible but you will need a good setup and a good tuner will get the results with plenty of rolling road time.

Your current ECU, look at the sticker on the side it should be something like PP5, PP4, or PM7 from memory, depending on which ECU it is will depend if it can be chipped. Alot of Honda ecus from the early 90s are easy to chip. I.e you remove a chip from the ecu, you solder a socket in its place which then allows you to plug in a new chip with a new tune on, or connect an emulator which then allows you to connect a laptop, and tune live time, then once you have it tuned you can burn the new settings to a chip and plug it in. Now chipping the ECU can be relatively chip especially if the tuner has the kit already to burn it and has an emulator, I may have access to one if I pull in a few favours :wink: or can have a word in a friends ear about this as he prepares some Honda crxs as a business and does rolling road mapping, located in banbury. DAZ81 on CRX-UK At the moment I wouldnt say he could Map throttle bodies yet, he has not got alot of expriance of them yet but will eventually as he is going that route on anoter project.

Neil

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:33 pm