It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:59 pm

Got myself a Project 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Got myself a Project
Hello All
This past Saturday I became the proud owner of this 1971 GTM

The intention is the rebuild it into an historic racer (HSCC 70's Roadsports) over the coming years (I'm being realistic!)
I have put it into storage for the immediate future as I am in the middle of moving and need to renovate my house first... But once I have my workshop sorted it will be coming home.
In the time between then and now I plan to collect as much info and parts as I can for the rebuild, firstly I would like to get hold of as much technical info as I can as there is not a lot left of the chassis to work from!
I need put together a list of essential items, and start tracking them down.
I plan to do all the work myself as I am a trained welder/fabricator and more importantly not rich! I now work as a CAD technician (AutoCAD & Solidworks) so will be drawing up all the parts needed for the chassis as well. When I have done these I would be happy to share the info and get any extras made if anyone is interested.
So if anybody has anything useful to share with me, I would be very grateful. I get the feeling from the posts I have read you are all a helpful bunch!
Look forward to hearing from you.
Simon Grist

Attachments:
22475363327_cd1197f9d3.jpg
22475363327_cd1197f9d3.jpg [ 35.12 KiB | Viewed 8393 times ]
Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:46 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Got myself a Project
Hi Simon.
I used to own 69Cox which started life with drum brakes and a 998 single carb engine, it ended up with a 1426 S engine (Triumph 2.5PI pistons std 1275 stroke) S discs etc, I'm now building a 1980'ish history not known Coupe, if you have any questions ask away
John

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Wow, didn't take you long to find one!
Looks good on the surface, whats she like for rust?

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Hi Simon
Have you seen this post
post21359.html#p21359
I guess its similar to what you've got planned :?:

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Yes I had seen that post, I think I will have similar levels of work to do! The chassis is basically rust for the first 2 inches up from the floor, the subframes are not savable but I have all the GTM made parts I think. I would quite like to put a Cox style nose on it as I like the look better, do they fit? Pretty sure it will be hard to find one though. I will be contacting Derek to see if he has any drawings he might of done and if he would be willing to share them, He gives me confidence though as mine is not quite as rusty as that!

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I do like the 10" wheel cars and I much prefer the front to that of the later Coupe

This is one of my favourites (no idea whose it is but it looks great)

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:06 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Nice to see an other CAD-designer being attracted to the GTM.
As Runkthepunk said before, I too like the looks of the front of the older cars better then the newer ones with mini-bumper.
CAD-models are always welcome :D
Personally I work with Autocad, Inventor and Solid Edge (SE not for long anymore)

Good luck with rebuilding the coupe.

Harold

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:58 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Thanks! Yes the more I think about it the more I may be inclined to measure up the entire chassis and build a solidworks model with all the correct panels, I think a jig would be easy to make up to locate the subframe fixings. I know a company that can cut and press the parts to my drawings so I could basically have a kit, I think you would want the entire front end fabricated/welded then you could attach the rest to that, does anyone know of any drawings that I could use as a reference? I would also be happy to get any panels people wanted made up extra, as it would keep costs down a bit.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Simon -- You have a PM

Steve

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Also worth talking to Turbocox [Stuart] on here as he has a cox, and has taken measurements of a old cox tub and has started looking into replacement panels.

I am hoping to get a bit more of my GTM modelled this winter including the chassis.

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:09 pm