It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 am

Who's body is it? 
Part built GTM

Post Who's body is it?
Hi anyone, after reading previous postings about the coupe body changes, I was wondering when the rear of the coupe changed from being flat to having a step then having recessed boxes for the light clusters?
I found the chassis plate which states 1982, is this when it was produced or registered? As the last m.o.t. states the car was registered in 1986?
The body tub has a rear with a step but no recess for lights. The word frankinstien springs to mind. Is the chassis plate even from this chassis? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Who's body is it?
In very short

Flat rear,

Flat rear with step

Flat rear with step and light recess

The step was used for a fitting a GTM bumper certainly on the 80's cars

Now 1982 is in the transition years to peter and paddy before the light recess, as they introduced them.

It is possible for the car to be a 82 kit then registered in 86 as fours years to build is good going.

I know of some early peter and paddy 13 inch cars to be 10 inch bodies modified to 13 inch so its quite possible you have a transition car. does it have 10 inch wheel arches or the larger 13 inch arches?

Neil

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:10 pm
Part built GTM

Hi Neil, that's interesting. It could be correct as you say as 4 years to build isn't bad.
The chassis was finished in white enamel so one would assume the car was originally white. However, the current body is red with a yellow bonnet, engine hatch and doors. The arches are for 13 inch wheels.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:03 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

crashtestdummy wrote:
Hi Neil, that's interesting. It could be correct as you say as 4 years to build isn't bad.
The chassis was finished in white enamel so one would assume the car was originally white. However, the current body is red with a yellow bonnet, engine hatch and doors. The arches are for 13 inch wheels.

GTM chassis in the 80's had the option to be enamelled. I suspect mine is, as under the red it is white and the white is tough so it may have been all enamelled chassis were white, then depending on the finished colour top painted to suit, white would had been a good base to start from and was probably cheaper to have all chassis enamelled the same colour. This is a guess but as I say mine is white underneath the red and the white it is very tough.

Neil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:11 pm
Part built GTM

Thanks Neil, this is fascinating information which makes sense when you think about it.
The chassis and chassis plate are one and the same, just the rest which is different. When all together I am thinking of finishing the coupe in black or dark blue. I do like red but I had a red one some years ago.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:32 pm
Where is my Number Plate?

Do it any colour but Red, there is too many red coupes. :wink:

Ive seen a black one and a dark blue one, the black one looked nice,
but it does take a LOT of prep work to make black look good.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 am
GTM delivered

Hello Stewart,
I remember talking to, I think, Paddy about a new shell for my coupe and the Black cost more on the grounds of addition glassing up due to the heat biuld up in the black. This is the black gel coat. Not sure if heat from the sun or engine. It was some time ago.
John

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Sorry Stuart.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

My coupe is also a bit of a mixed breed, the chassis was rather 2nd hand but the body although knocked about had never been fitted to a chassis or had light holes cut into the rear, the red gel coat is not good enough to polish out so it will need to be sprayed, I fancy doing it in Yellow as my old Cox was a Fiat yellow, but here in Kano our tuk tuks are a very similar colour and I don't want to be mistaken for one!! so am thinking something in between a real slap you in the face orange, I have a colour sample used on one of our products shrink sleeve, so will see what the local painters can mix up for me.
John

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

Gtm Jonny wrote:
Hello Stewart,
I remember talking to, I think, Paddy about a new shell for my coupe and the Black cost more on the grounds of addition glassing up due to the heat biuld up in the black. This is the black gel coat. Not sure if heat from the sun or engine. It was some time ago.
John

Hmmm,, the only thing I could think of is..

1. Maybe he was suggesting that a black coupe sitting in the sun 'May' attract the heat more, and would warm the resin in the fibreglass, possibly distort it :?:

2. The black pigment is that much more expensive that they didn't have any in stock and they would have to buy enough that it wasn't viable for them :?:

3. Might be concerned that with the reflective-ness of the black, it would show all the imperfections of the coupe body panels straight out of the mould (in gel coat), and would look better if it was prep'd then painted instead. :?:

But I could be totally wrong :oops:

You could always go with the kids option and have it wrapped :?:

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 pm
Part built GTM

Think I read somewhere that black jell coat suffers from fade. Fancy a dark colour, but then once had an orange mini and quite fancied doing it in a bright orange. So many colours to choose from.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm
Ready for SVA

I had a black Libra and it was fine with no fade.

I was warned that with black GRP there was a risk of the mat showing through as the heat is absorbed more into the black and the GRP continues to cure long after manufacture.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 pm
Profile E-mail