It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

Sun roof 
Part built GTM

Post Sun roof
Hi, have a heap of coupe parts I am gradually rebuilding ( just in time for the ban of the internal combustion engine) and was wondering whether any one has thought of a completely removable roof instead of the rain, sorry, sunroof? As the body is unstressed, cutting the roof out would not cause any issues. I guess the pillars would need some reinforcement. What are your views?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:48 pm
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Sun roof
Like a targa top you mean?
Hmm, would be pretty flimsy on a GRP kit car, the corvette C3 has one I think but I believe the it has a lot of extra stiffening. not sure how good it would look with the window frame. Never seen one before but there is probably a reason for that...

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

yes i was thinking targa top, Deon used to make a Dino replica with a lift off roof or maybe similar to targa top used on Triumph TR4.
Mmmm you might be right, not sure how it would look.
The whole idea came about after removing the sun roof and filling in the hole with g.r.p. Solved the leaky roof problem but made the car feel cramped. I am only of average height but found my head was not far off the roof. Using lower seats might be worth trying. How do taller drivers find driving the coupe?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 pm
Looking like a GTM

I think a low seat and more reclined position is a must. I was driven in Neils GTM at Blyton and I have to say it didn't feel cramped.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

grizzler73 wrote:
I think a low seat and more reclined position is a must. I was driven in Neils GTM at Blyton and I have to say it didn't feel cramped.

Seats, and seat position are key for a Coupe and the taller driver. I am 6'2" and have a sunroof and fit, admittedly its a little tight when I have my crash helmet on but I do fit. When I was looking at new seats I was struggling to find ones that fitted the car, then ones that fitted me and car. I still have my new seats waiting to be fitted. :roll: .

Neil

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:45 pm
Looking like a GTM

I have already filled the hole where mine had a sunroof, but it is going to be used as a race car so sunroofs are a no no!

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:19 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I totally agree, a sun roof is a bad idea. If it isn't rain leaking round the seals it's condensation from the glass.
The only plus side is the benefit of extra light.
I will have to invest in some new seats as on checking on my nice black bucket seats have found that the mice have eaten holes in them! Have had them for 10 years and have only been installed in a cooper for a few weeks.
So back to my question about a targa top, the general consensus would be that it would not suit the car.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 am
Looking like a GTM

Absolutely, My personal option is that we have a duty to try and keep these cars running as close to there original state as possible, there are no more classic cars being produced, the internal combustion engine is on borrowed time so if you own a older car you should think very carefully before hacking it about.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Very true. But many have improvements unvisualised by the designer, whether it be air scoops, engine swaps or different rear lights. The question is what is original? My project has a chassis with a 1982 plate ( that isn't attached to chassis a red body tub with no rear light recesses a later yellow bonnet and yellow doors. What do I take as being original? I do think if you have an early model then yes originality is the way to go. However with my frankinstien I am unsure where to go. I do like the early bonnet without lip, but would that look stupid on a car with 13inch wheels? ( The one I have does have a big lip)

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:17 pm
Ready for SVA

Putting to one side for the moment the issue of originality -- if the issue is headroom then maybe a power bulge as per the Le Mans winning GT40 or even a double bubble "Zagato" type roof would suit. If a targa appeals then I think I would look at a "surrey" top as per the Triumph Stag where there's a strengthening part between the roll bar and the windscreen header rail. The 2 part roof can then be removed in sections and stowed -- perhaps behind the seats. I think the biggest issue will be the fixings and seals -- probably just as likely to leak as a sunroof!

Its your car so in essence you can do with it as you like -- is Turbocox's car any less original because its got wheel arches on it? In any case I think Derek could mould you a roof section that you could bond back on if you didn't like it.
Steve

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Have given all consideration, Surrey top is probably the closest . It would have to be a complete lift off section that would sit on a channel with seal at front and rear. How this would sit on the door window frames I haven't quite worked out. I am quite influenced by Ferrari Dino and Deon cars. As the collection of chassis n body parts are from different generations of the coupe I don't feel that I have to be original.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:10 pm
Looking like a GTM

Well whatever you decide to do its all in the execution. If you do put in a Surrey type roof it will naturally lower the roof section because of lips etc so kind of defeats the point. Tricky job, good luck with it all!

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

That's smart thinking -- you'll need to check that the return flanges etc aren't directly above your head making things worse -- may be look at the Porsche 914 which I recall had a very flimsy moulded vinyl affair but still made it to production. Possibly overlap the whole roof including the header above the windscreen and what remains of the roof behind the doors.
Steve

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 am
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

Steve Shield wrote:

Its your car so in essence you can do with it as you like -- is Turbocox's car any less original because its got wheel arches on it?
Steve

I've been so torn on this, but as much as I love the look of the arches, im 99% sure they are coming off.
The Originality of the car is looking more important now days. :cry:

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 am
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Some interesting discussion and points of view on the originality topic. My own view is that we shouldn't forget that these are kit cars. Kit cars are by their definition home built and whilst I'm not an expert on Coupes, I imagine that like in building most kits there is a degree of "modification and adaptation" required to fettle the thing into existence in the first place. Also, kit manufacturers tend to do their product development on the fly so introduce small modifications from one kit to the next. As such no two will be exactly the same. All that means that there can't be a single definition of what a coupe is supposed to be like. I suppose there are certain things that are constant between all those that were produced and changing those would be a departure from the concept but in essence the concept is fluid anyway so I don't see making changes as being in any way disrespectful to the original. I say go ahead and reinvent the concept as much as you like! But, remember you might want to sell the car one day and as we (particularly kit drivers) are a funny lot, someone else's idea might be different from yours and they might not want what you wanted!

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:24 pm
Profile E-mail