It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:57 pm

I sold my cox 15 years ago, looked for it for the last 5 
GTM on order

Post I sold my cox 15 years ago, looked for it for the last 5
Hi I'm new to the site, but just thought this might be a fun story.

About 15 years ago I brought a gtm from a mate from collage, he had it for a few years prior but it ended up in his garage collecting dust. While on a night out I offered him cash for the car and woke up the next day with my best mate telling me I'd brought the car and we had to pick it up that morning, I was a little hungover! (Didn't even remember)

At about 26 years of age my mate and I put it back together and had loads of fun with one trip on the Rivera run which was very memorable trip.

I sold the car not long after due to needing a reliable work car.

10 years later life changed, married, kids, mid life etc and spent 5 years checking forums, eBay and gum tree. Then I found it, yes the same gtm and wife said buy it.

Now this Tickles me, when I sold it I lived near Windsor to a chap that wanted to gut it to use as a hill climber, I was also gutted at the time that it was going to get it stripped to a shell! Now when I found it 14 years later I rang the owner, had a chat and asked if it had a split in the bonnet where the owner had driven it in to a sign post. He said yes! At that point I knew it was the same car (yes I hit a sign very low speed) and without any ability to play it cool I said I wanted to buy it.

So I did the deal over the phone there and then, I knew it was in the uk and all parts there but its was in many bits with the sub frame and boot all cut, next question where are you? I said, turns out he was 10 mile away in Somerset where I now lived having moved from Windsor and when I went to see the gtm he had my old paperwork, this included a note written buy my mum.

Turns out he ran the car for 2 months after he brought it from me then stored it. Now14 years to the day within a couple of hours after he recently started to strip it to parts, I'd brought it.

So 14 years to the day, for practiily the same price and about the same time of day I brought it and it was less about 10 miles away!

In rebuild at the moment, but booked me and mate to do the Rivera 2018 bank hols (mini run).

One thing I've noticed is, I was young when I had it first time and there were a few dodgey repairs! (Ok a shed load what was I doing)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 960.42 KiB | Viewed 2901 times ]
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:58 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: I sold my cox 15 years ago, looked for it for the last 5
A nice story and the car looks quite tidy, I just can't understand why you "superglued the trolley jack to the ceiling, turning the car onto its roof is a good way to check the chassis underneath though.
I just wish I still had my old car, it would be easier than me making my new one :oops:
John

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:53 am
Profile E-mail