It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Custom Car Article 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Custom Car Article
Hi All
Found this article from July 1970, road test of the Heerey GTM, don't know if anyone has seen it before. Nice pic of it next to a Helter skelter! interestingly they mention 40 cars sold at this point.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/109325599 ... 0259679279

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Re: Custom Car Article
Interesting,
didn't realise that this one was green.
It appeared in the brochures of the day.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Green rules !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

Ahh... alas...it's no longer with us :cry:

I had a guy come up and talk to me about this car at mini in the park, 2 or 3 years ago. He said that he had owned it but it was beyond repair and that he scrapped it, but not all of it.....

He said something about a K3 wearing something from it instead.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:51 am
Looking like a GTM

The colour looks a lot lighter in the Hot car test article pictures from the June 1970 issue.
This car is a "intermediate" Heerey GTM isn't it? with spaceframe, but before the 1-3 was introduced.
The time line I estimate is:
Early 1967 - Cox GTM starts production
Feb 1969 - Heerey takes over production
January 1970 - updated GTM introduced, spaceframe at rear etc
January 1971 - Heerey GTM 1-3 introduced,new front end etc
Feb 1972 - Howard Heerey winds up the business

In that article they say 40 cars sold so far so that could mean between Jan 70 and then, lets say May 70 (the test would have taken place a bit before the magazine came out I would think) that would be 40/5 months=8 kits a month
Though I think the estimate of 70 kits produced is probably nearer the mark...
So my Heerey 1-3 being registered Oct 71 is a rare beast!
What do you think of my sums?
Simon

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail

As I've said before, I VERY much doubt the figure of.....

"170+ Heerey cars were produced"

that is sometimes talked or reported.

The date I've got in my head, that the Heerey chassis drawings have on them is December 68'

Simon I'm hoping to bring them with me next week.

I'll text over some pictures I have of Receipts for a COX chassis unit that was ordered at Cox and Co.
Then delivered by Midland garage. There was also a few early chassis that were offered by Midland garage that were the early COX flat panel type (this info was confirmed by Richard Hudson Evans, and another previous owner) they were told that they were Cheaper to buy due to them being not "as good"as the space frame rear later Heerey type, even though they were actually stiffer, and more labour intensive to produce.

The date on the COX receipt 'photo'I have is.....the 29th of November 1968.
The date on the Midland garage delivery receipt is.......the 15 of March 1969.

I'll text them over, as the pictures have names and address's on them, so I won't be posting them online.

Last edited by turbocox on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:11 pm
Looking like a GTM

So the drawings you refer to from nov 68 are the updated spaceframe?
The CCC car is a Heerey supplied car but was still the sheet metal Cox rear type that they had left. they built that over the early part of 1970
I agree, I don't think that many "intermediate" Heereys were produced before the 1-3, I think he was probably sorting out the new design and then selling the old design cars to keep things moving.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:50 am
Profile E-mail

That's correct, the early chassis that were being offered, I can only 'assume' at this point, that they may have been stock from Ingham Engineering.

The drawings are dated December 68, and they are of the space frame / box tube rear style.

One of the drawings was altered and used as there own by a subsequent project owner. The name and date was changed but it's the same drawing, it's the general arrangement one. I know this as I asked the original draftsman last year.

Last edited by turbocox on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 pm
Looking like a GTM

So Heerey was sorting out the car a lot earlier, because all the road tests of the "new" Heerey car are in mid 1970 which means between Nov 68 and spring 1970 he was still developing the car, when you read the CCC build articles you get a sense of a car still very much in constant development, for instance they talk about the new wishbone rear arm like they are just about to come on stream and that they will fit them when they become available.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Yes I agree.

The draftsman who drew the drawings also worked for Chevron and later Jaguar, see another Chevron connection
( with regards to Heerey/Chevron)

Also with the.drawing evidence you can argue that the Herrey chassis is eligible for SOME of the 60's race series :D
Plus he's still around to argue the facts himself.

Last edited by turbocox on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:26 pm
Looking like a GTM

It's as close as I'll ever get to my dream race car, a Chevron B8....
CSCC swinging Sixties confirmed to me that I can enter the Championship as it is basically the same as a Cox. They are pure racers though, out of my budget!
FIA papers will be pretty much impossible as it was never Homolagated in period, though you might have a strong case for Group 6 as it did run in Period.
But I've been told if you want to run in a pre 71 race in Europe, drop the organiser a line and they will let you run as long as you meet the safety requirements, British Historic racers make up the the bulk of the entries in most meetings so they never want to pee them off!

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:56 pm
Profile E-mail

As I'm not aware of the rules and regs in classic racing,

The question I have should have a straight forward answer from someone who does...

surely if you can show evidence from historic race programs when, and what class and against a what opposition COX and Heerey cars ran in. Can you not build a/your car to those regs/specs as "in period" :?:

Last edited by turbocox on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:50 pm
Looking like a GTM

Yes that is correct to a point, you would be in GT racing though, just like they were, in with 26R's and Chevrons etc that's why they run other classes with stricter regs, for people who want to run a road car.When you go to FIA though they want it to be homologated in period, but with the cost of obtaining the historic passport most people are not bothering anyway.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Good find that article.

Like many people on here I've got a load of old articles -- including a poor copy of the CCC build series -- stashed away in the loft somewhere. I wonder if as part of the 50th anniversary it would be good idea to bring them all together and scan them onto a CD and offer it through the club. A bit like one of those "Profile of ..." books that brings together all the old road test material. Maybe not for sale as such but with a donation so that there's no copyright issues. Whilst most of the mags have closed I suspect that the individual authors may have some copyright so not sure where we would stand on this issue.

Thought's?

Steve

Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Indeed a good idea Steve, if only to collect all this info so it is not lost!
I have good copies of the CCC build plus hot car, custom car road tests and I have a copy of The racing Mini's I can scan the Cox part from. Anything submitted would have to be a quality scan, not just a photocopy. i would be happy to be the collator if nobody else wants to do it.
We could ask Jereon from Maximum Mini if he has any other stuff?
I also have and article in a German mag about a Heerey!

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:48 pm
Profile E-mail