It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:36 am

Shock Absorbers ?? 
Ready for SVA

Post Shock Absorbers ??
I'm getting to the point where I need to decide what shocks to use, any thoughts?
It's running the original suspension, rubber springs etc.
Secondly anyone got anything appropriate they want to sell??
Ta
D

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:26 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Shock Absorbers ??
Hi Dion,

First of all, will the Heerey GTM be used for road or competition? When my Heerey GTM is finished :roll: I will put Koni shock absorbers on mine. Because these are of a very high quality this would I think the best choice, on of the most expensive choices as well.

If competition use, combined with road use I would prefer the yellow Koni's, the adjustable ones of course. Cost 75,00 GBP each at MiniSpeed. Not cheap, I know, but very good quality and better quality than for instance GAZ shocks, as I have seen several ones that started leaking after a short period.

Hope this helps you a bit?

All the best,

Michiel.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:08 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi Dion,

First of all, will the Heerey GTM be used for road or competition? When my Heerey GTM is finished :roll: I will put Koni shock absorbers on mine. Because these are of a very high quality this would I think the best choice, on of the most expensive choices as well.

If competition use, combined with road use I would prefer the yellow Koni's, the adjustable ones of course. Cost 75,00 GBP each at MiniSpeed. Not cheap, I know, but very good quality and better quality than for instance GAZ shocks, as I have seen several ones that started leaking after a short period.

Hope this helps you a bit?

All the best,

Michiel.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Hi Michiel,
Thanks for your thoughts.
Certainly Konis have had a good reputation in the past, although I'm not so sure they're 'the ulimate' these days, that's why I'd like to hear people's recent experiences.
Regarding the spec I would agree totally with you if we were talking about a Mini, the problem of course is we're not!

The GTM is about 2cwt lighter than a Mini and of course there's the issue of the front being relatively very light, as we don't have the engine weight. I therefore feel yellow Koni's would be far too stiff on the front.

I have been thinking along the lines of a somewhat stiffer than standard shock for the rear and possibly a standard stiffness one for the front.
Minispares do a softer adjustable Spax (NGM1A) which combined with the 'normal' (C-STR306) Spax adjustables for the rear may give a better balance?

The car's set up for UK road rallying, which is basically blasting around rough mucky tarmac lanes :P

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Dino,

The Konis are very good shocks, I had a set of Koni classic (Red) in my Migla, at the time most were running the Spax adjustables but I found the Konis adjustment better. The only down side to their adjustment is they have to come off the car. To me they are stronger than the rest and don't seem to give the problems experienced with other brands. Other than that the AVO shocks are good too. Sorry they are the only ones I've used. I'm running AVO coilover in my GTM

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

GTM: Cox/Coupe
AVO's on the Cox, no problems here good quality, good price. :idea:

I have no experience of Koni shox but as you said they are very highly recommened.

I have also heard that pro-tech shox are supposed to be good also, again I have no experience of these either :roll:

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:45 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

My Car currently has Spax,

Only complaint is the adjusters have seized, Im sure if you give them a little regular tweak they would be fine, but mine did not like a Salty Winter :roll: . At least they are on a sensible setting 3 front 6 rear from memory.. They have done a good mileage too, they give a little groan sometimes when cold. Next I will be going AVO as they give me the stroke Im looking for for when I do eventulally go coil over with the new frame.

West

Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:25 pm
Ready for SVA

West,

Yep thats the Spax problem, seized adjusters and I think the groan is from the top seal, it seems to dry out over a period of time. The Konis are also fully rebuilable and can be built to your requirements i.e. bump/rebound. The AVO's are also a very good shock with a good reputation.

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:05 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

Pro-tech alloy front Mini shocks, lowered or standard length are around £220 posted for a set of 4, coilovers around £430 with springs. He will make up any open/closed length combo within reason, they are hand built to order and have a 3 year warranty. I looked at them at Stoneleigh and was impressed with the quality, in fact i'll be ordering a set shortly. Roger you've got them on your Libra, whats your opinion? Kevin is the guy to speak to :wink:

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:55 am