It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:13 pm

Update Heerey GTM project Michiel Kisjes The Netherlands 
GTM delivered

Post Update Heerey GTM project Michiel Kisjes The Netherlands
So, the Heerey GTM got out of the lock up at a friends place and arrives last sunday at my home. I have stripped several things now, including the doors. The doors were in a bad shape, one had a big damage and the window frames are rotten. Probably you guys will say to me "welcome to the GTM world"! Anyway, placed a couple of photo's in order to keep you updated about the progress. All the wiring is out (was a complete mess ) and the comming days I will take the last brakinghoses and waterhoses out of the car. After that it is stripping of the old paint of the complete bodyshell and after that lifting it in order to start the restoration on the chassis.

I think I could use some more information, pictures and so on regarding the floor and tunnel. Dion, you were so kind to provide me some measurements regarding the tunnel Do you perhaps have any other information? For instance, what is the thickness of the complete floor, inner sills, tunnel etc? Any one who can provide me some extra info, it's very welcome!

Thanks in forward everyone, I will keep you updated!

Regards,

Michiel

Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Update Heerey GTM project Michiel Kisjes The Netherlands
Soo not i am the only one who is ...ing with an old GTM :mrgreen: .

Thiis project looks fine...

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Michiel Kisjes wrote:
....The doors were in a bad shape, one had a big damage and the window frames are rotten. ...

What do you mean bad, they look great to me !! :lol:

Michiel Kisjes wrote:
...Dion, you were so kind to provide me some measurements regarding the tunnel Do you perhaps have any other information? For instance, what is the thickness of the complete floor, inner sills, tunnel etc? Any one who can provide me some extra info, it's very welcome!...

Floors and inner cill ~1mm, the tunnel was thin sheet at the front ~0.8mm but much thicker from the gearlever back ~1.2 or even 1.5mm.
Not convinced it was original though, my car's been "restored" at least once before.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:56 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks Dion for sharing the info regarding thickness of steel etc. Do you, or any of you readers of the forum have pictures of the early Heerey GTM floors, because in my opinion this car should have the "flat"floor without the lower seat part, correct me if I'm wrong please. Also, should the tunnel have the higher part as seen on your Heerey GTM Dion?

I noticed as well that the steel square tubes in my car are not original, I assume that I am right, and that the tubes at the front side and for the seat frames are not in the correct places is this also correct? Dion, if you could provide me all the pictures that you have of the floor, tunnel etc, I would be very gratefull. I noticed also that there is a difference in the backside of the tub. It looks as if your car Dion, has square openings on both sides at the back. i hope you knw what I mean, if not I will send you some pics of mine and yours via your PM if that's usefull. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,
Michiel.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Michiel Kisjes wrote:
...in my opinion this car should have the "flat"floor without the lower seat part,...

Yes, I believe so.
Quote:
Also, should the tunnel have the higher part as seen on your Heerey GTM Dion?

I would think so as it ataches to the centre area of the "V" where the tank sits.
The cente tunnel adds a lot of stiffness to the tub especially that triangulation where it meets the tank/bulkhead.

Quote:
I noticed as well that the steel square tubes in my car are not original, I assume that I am right, and that the tubes at the front side and for the seat frames are not in the correct places is this also correct?

You'll need the tubes for the seats to be where you want the seats! so I'm not sure there's a "correct" position.
I agree the front tube may not be original but I've added some to my tub as well as it seems to be a highly stressed area and could do with some help.

Quote:
Dion, if you could provide me all the pictures that you have of the floor, tunnel etc, I would be very gratefull.

I think you've seen most of my pics, but I'll certainly check to see if I've got any more.

Quote:
I noticed also that there is a difference in the backside of the tub. It looks as if your car Dion, has square openings on both sides at the back.
Yes, there are storage bins in my shell. I'm not convinced they're a good idea though - I've shortened the right one considerably as it was obstructing access to the clutch. I've also just discovered that the original length left side fouls the tie bar on full bump :cry: so I've modified it (with my biggest hammer!)

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:44 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Morning Dion,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I might see most of your pictures at the forum, but the more there are, the better the result will be. Do you know if there are any other Heerey GTM owners, so with the type 1-3? I would like to see more pictures of others, because in my opinion you should do a restoration 100% right, otherwise it's best to keep your hands of a project car. Therefore, I could need more pics.

So the tunnel is (as can be seen on your car) attached to the "V" where the tank is, but can you also tell me if the square tubes central on the floor of my car are forming the base for this tunnel, or isn't this a part of the original structure? I assume that the tube constrcution for the handbrake is not original as well? You mentioned that the tubes for the seat frames could be placed where I prefer. But on the other hand, originaly from factory they should have been placed in an standard position, can you describe this place to me in inches? Also I noticed that these tubes on a GTM seem to be "covered" with a bend steel plate for the seat frames is this right?

Also, this flat floor, from how many steel plates is this build? One for the complete floor, or are these more steel plates and should these plates have the strength profiles in the front and the back as seen on the later GTM's? I hope you know what I mean with this.

Could you be so kind to provide (besides the other extra pics) me some extra pictures of the storage bins at the rear of your car as well, so that I can make these on my car as well please? I attach a couple of pictures from the rear part of my tub so that you can see what has to happen, perhaps you can provide me your pics as well, so that it's clear to see what should be done to make it original.

I know, a lot of questions especially on a sunday morning, perhaps even a bit overdone, but on the other hand I want to restore this car to it's former glory, so you need to do the job properly, you'll agree with that I'm sure! I'm looking forward to hear from you again!

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,
Michiel.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:12 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Quote:
the tunnel ..can you also tell me if the square tubes central on the floor of my car are forming the base for this tunnel, ..

My car does have these, but only on the rear section - from the gearlever back. The front raised section just has angle plates to join it to the floor.
Quote:
I assume that the tube constrcution for the handbrake is not original as well?
Agreed, mine just bolts to the tunnel sheeting.
Quote:
.. originaly from factory {the tubes} should have been placed in an standard position

I'm sure you're right, but as my floors had been replaced I don't have the measurements.
Quote:
Also I noticed that these tubes on a GTM seem to be "covered" with a bend steel plate for the seat frames is this right?

My seat mountings were made from thin bent sheet there was no square section box tubing across the floor area at all.
Quote:
the storage bins

I see what you mean about your bulkhead, I see your car has also lost the bulge in the middle.
You car is set up differently from mine - you have a rear mounted radiator. I'm not sure there would have been bins, I think they'd interfere with the rad position, but I will try to take some pics later to show where my bins are.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:31 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks in forward for making some extra pics for the storage bins Dion. Could you be so kind to send the pictures you have of the floor sections, inner sill sections, tunnel section and if possible extra pics of the seat mounting plates and tubes from the tunnel to my PM please Dion? Also old publicity pictures, or pictures from magazines regarding the Heerey GTM are very welcome.

Yesterday I have worked further on the car, although I haven't done much, but I have removed the bulkhead and started with removing the old floor and innersill plates. As you might have noticed there are double welded steel plates on the floor and innersills. I will place some extra pics later today.

Regards,
Michiel.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:22 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Michiel Kisjes wrote:
Also old publicity pictures, or pictures from magazines regarding the Heerey GTM are very welcome.

Try: http://www.schwenti.com/

:D

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:26 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks Tim, I know the website well, I have send him a mail and asked if he has any extra usefull information, pictures and so on. Thanks for thinking with me!

Regards,

Michiel.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:41 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

As promised another set of pictures from the latest things done on the Heerey GTM.

During the week the rest of the rest of double metal plates will be cut out, when that is done, I will give a further update in pictures. Tim, I have spoken with Schwenti via the mail, he had a computer crash and is trying hard to get all the old pictures back via the hard disc. Dion I am looking forward to see your pics.

Keep you posted!

regards

Michiel.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Isnt it just easier to make a brand new chassis?... It is qute well gone.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

The chassis tubes in the back are still in good shape and not rotten, the problem is the floor, this has to be replaced. I still don't understand why the former owners patched new plates over the existing floor, it's not rotten, only a bad job. The only part that is rotten is in front of the chassis, this can be seen laying under the car.

But, since you have the experience with making a whole new chassis for your Cox GTM, and have done a mighty good job, get in touch with me via the PM so that we can discuss ideas and prices for restoring the current chassis! I am of course absolutely open to discuss the possibilities with you! :wink:

regards,

Michiel

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

:D

Thanks for Your kind words on my job. though to be honest i think distance and the poor quality photos make it look much better than it realy is.
I would be happy to help You though unfortunatly I cannot, as velding is not my profession. I can only legaly work on my own cars. If You carry the chassis to me, though we can do it together :lol: (if only You would live a bit closer...) :roll: .

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:45 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

If only it is possible to save the cahssis You may do soo, just keep an eye on rigidity. Check all tubes inside especialy near the veldings. Stress them a bit to see if they show any sign of internal rust/weakness. I had a friend who crashed his E-type Jag when his front suspension frame collapsed. It looked perfect from outside. But as we all know, time and water does fine things with steel...

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 am
Profile E-mail