It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

Twin HS4 Needles 
On the Road

Post Twin HS4 Needles
I've just treated myself to a pair of HS4s with fixed needles (couldn't resist it 8) ) and I'm wondering if anybody has any experience of them so could give me an idea of what needles to use as a starting point. The engine is 1310cc with a Piper 270 cam and GTM stainless exhaust which uses the MG Metro exhaust manifold. I've mislaid my Vizard book somewhere but seem to remember from past experience that No7s were useful - I'll need to go crawling in the attic on a book hunt again tomorrow :roll:

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Rossa
Post Re: Twin HS4 Needles
dont know if it will help but have you tried winsu.co.uk....or try asking on theminiforum. would defo take it to rollling road though.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I had a poke around the interweb last night and found different info wherever I looked which is not really surprising, I suppose. I came across winsu but I'll need to go back to it for a closer look. I found my David Vizard book in the attic library ( :roll: ) today and that's always a good guide too. The car will be dyno'd but I need to get it running and settled down for IVA first so I'm just looking for something that it will run nicely enough on without making too many noxious gases......

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:57 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

GTM: Libra
Try BQ to start with as the cam spec of the engine is fairly conservative.I have found a Single HIF44 can still produce nearly as much power on a decent inlet manifold as twins but the twins do look the part.
PiltV40

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Thanks - that gives me something to start with. As you say, the HIF44 is big enough but as I'm trying to give my car the retro look I couldn't resist the HS4s 8) Anyway, my HIF was very badly corroded inside when I got it and although I've rebuilt it twice I'm still not happy with it because it loses all the oil from the dashpot within minutes of starting the engine so I needed to buy something else anyway.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail