It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

K series front crankshaft oil seal 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post K series front crankshaft oil seal
Hi All,
I bought a 1.8 VVC MGF engine Circa 1998, Mems 2, 143, and its been on my drive under a tarp since April! I've just got around to making a start (now I've made my PG1 bracket, different thread!) to get it ready to swap into my Spyder. Having lifted it off the pallet and cleaned it up it looks like its been suffering from an oil leak from behind the crankshaft pulley so I'm suspecting the oil seal is worn.
Looking at a few pictures it looks like the oil seal comes as part of the oil pump or can be bought separately.
Has anyone changed this? If so would people's advice be to change the oil pump or just put a new seal in the existing one? As the engine is not installed and I'll be taking off the aux drive pulley to fit a new timing belt anyway i'm hoping it won't be much more work to also take off the bottom timing pulley but not sure how its fixed. I'm guessing just slid over a splined shaft/woodruff key but is it likely to be tight i.e. need a puller?
Once the pulley is off I'm wondering how tightly fitted the oil seal will be into the oil pump casting. Again any experiences? I last changed a crank oil seal about 22 years ago on the flywheel end of a 1986 cavalier 1.8i, I did that through the clever little opening in the gearbox bellhousing with the sliding mainshaft slid away to get the clutch and flywheel off - I remember it being a bit of a bitch to get the seal out and the new one back in but that was lying under the car and working through a letter box so hopefully with full access it should be much easier on this one, unless anyone knows different!!!

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:34 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: K series front crankshaft oil seal
You've probably done this by now, but in case not, you don't have to change the oil pump just to change the crankshaft oil seal. The crank pulley usually comes off without a fight - except that the securing bolt is tight, like 151 (!) ft/lbs in old money. Other than that, should be no problem, and at least you can get at it with the unit out of the car.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:25 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: K series front crankshaft oil seal
Thanks, Not done it yet but I have bought a seal so went for "just replacing the seal" option. Currently deciding how much of a re-build it'll be or whether to just fix whats obviously wrong and put it in!

Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:28 pm
Profile E-mail