It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am

Advance Curve 
On the Road

Post Advance Curve
Does anyone have the advance curve details (ie how much advance at how many revs) for the Lucas 65dm4 distributor type 42664 as fitted to the MG Metro, please? I just want to check that the springs are OK and that everything is as it should be. Ta :)

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Advance Curve
Did you find this out?

Neil

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:15 pm
On the Road

Post Re: Advance Curve
No, I didn't. However, with the timing light I ascertained that the advance was reaching its maximum before it had hardly cleared the pointers on the timing cover which is only 20 degrees..... I ordered a brand new dizzy from Mini Sport and it has absolutely transformed the engine at tick over so I'm looking forward to April when I get the car on the road again and I expect it to be pulling much better (it was starting to run out of puff at around 4000 rpm before and tick over was erratic to say the least). With the old dizzy removed I stripped it down and, compared to the new one, the base plate was rattling around all over the place due to the springs being completed shot so that was £100 well spent. The annoying thing is that I never suspected the timing and was forever faffing around with tappets, carb, etc (the MG1275 was notorious for having a rough idle when it first came out and revised tappet clearances were issued which I further confused by having a different cam which I finally got recommended settings for from Piper). It's all a learning curve (no pun intended! ) even for us veterans :mrgreen:

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:43 pm
Profile E-mail