It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm

LSD in a Libra - good upgrade? 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post LSD in a Libra - good upgrade?
Has anyone fitted an LSD to their K series Libra and if so, was it a good upgrade?

I will be running a slightly tuned 160 vvc and I think the gearbox is a C4BP from a trophy. I have an option on a Quaife ATB at a good price but want to gauge if it's worth it first?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: LSD in a Libra - good upgrade?
Have you got ARBs?

I've done a bit of reading up on LSDs in Elises and they actually said it could have a negative effect on the handling particularly if the car didn't have an ARB, due to the weight transfer when the LSD is doing it's thing. For this reason they all left the factory with an open diff. Now my car isn't k series, but it does have a helical LSD, I believe I have experienced the negative effects they were talking about. I have ARBs but they are set quite 'soft' at the moment, so I'm going to try them stiffened up.

I'm not saying it's not worth it but it may require more careful setting up and ARBs if you haven't got them, I wouldn't say that an LSD is at all necessary. If I were you I think it would simply boil down to how cheaply I could buy it.

I have experienced snap oversteer a few times in my new Libra, but I'm not sure if it's more down to set up at the moment. I'm going to get it fully set up/lasered etc and try stiffening the ARB. It's a horrible handling trait.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:45 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I've read similar negatives to you on Lotus threads so I'm in two minds on it at the moment. Incidentally, I don't have ARB's at the moment but Jim Walker is sorting some out for me so will have soon I hope!

Snap oversteer is never a good thing is it :lol: be careful stiffening the rear bar if you're suffering snap oversteer it may make it worse. I'd be inclined to get it all tracked up properly first and then go a bit stiffer on the front bar if you can?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I have had LSD in two TVR's and I have to say I am not a fan in a road car when you open the taps if one wheel slips and the diff locks the rear end goes sideways very quickly plays havoc with the laundry bill
Ian

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:37 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Not a Libre, I used a Salisbury plate LSD in the rear engine of my twinni Mini which is now in my Coupe, (yet to be driven), the twinny was raced on dirt tracks and it helped but was not very friendly on tar roads. Jedi's which used Mini diffs at first then around 1988 we tried a Jack Knight diff and swapped ends so many times at Loton Park that it came out the next day, we then tried a Mini Quaife and it was almost un-noticed apart from leaving 2 black lines of equal length off a start line, I still have a Quaife in my Jedi
John

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:21 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Apparently the quaife is quite benign in its action but I'm not really sure it's worth it? It's cheaper than I can buy a brand new one but not cheap enough to buy and try it out if you know what I mean.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Quaife is very friendly, but not sure you need it on the road in a transverse mid engine car, I expect not to like my plate diff in a coupe, but would have to bring back a Xpin mini diff back to Kano to change it
John

Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I think my quaffe diff is amazing on my libra but is on civic type r engine and gearbox

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:13 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Is it an ATB aftermarket type or a std Honda fitment?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

quaiffe ATB
I don't think i would have got any power down without it :D

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

MMT has a bit more grunt than most :lol:
john

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The yellow bullet has some Mumbo alright!

Have you ever driven the car without an LSD Colin? The traction benefits are a given but wondering if they alter the handling in a positive or negative way (or not at all).

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:39 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I think you're most likely to notice any ill effects if you spin the wheel/s up cornering, in a straight line no doubt it'll be better. Mine gets away very well. I played with the ARBs a bit at the weekend, now on front full stiff and rear full soft and it seems more stable.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I fitted a Torsen 2 atb to my K series Libra.

I loved it and thought it was a big improvement especially on track. It did tend to push a little bit more on turn in and I found it better to pick up the throttle a little in the corner to get the diff working. Being short wheel base you can really feel it working coming off and on the power in the corners.

In terms of anti roll bars then full hard at the front full soft at the back is a good place to start.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Interesting reading as I have a Honda Trosen in the Coupe never thought to google the Elise boys and gals for their thoughts on LSD on a similar car.

Neil

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:00 am