It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am

Libra Engine Steady Bar(s) 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Libra Engine Steady Bar(s)
Need a new engine steady bar, the one that goes on the RHS - sump to bulkhead. I can probably get one or have one made up, however this got me thinking (dangerous) I wondered if I should put a second bar on the gearbox(PG1) side - but mounted from where to where? Anyone done this or similar?

SAS

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:30 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Libra Engine Steady Bar(s)
When I did my R65/1.6 to PG1/VVC conversion I only had the gearbox side steady bar so I re-used that on the PG1, still on the gearbox side. I made an adaptor plate so the original R65/Metro mounting (the big alloy casting with an enormous voided bush) can fit to the PG1. Basically there are a couple of ready tapped holes in the PG1 diff casing (M10 from memory but check) and to make it secure I also used three of the bolts that hold the diff casing cover to the main casting - these need spacers to bring it into line with the face of the pre-existing tapped holes. These bolts are also M10 but fine thread from memory (M10 by 1.0 I think) and they then need to be about 15mm longer to account for the spacers. This then gives 5 solid mountings which I used to bolt a bit of 6mm plate to. It needs a notch in it to clear the gearbox oil filler. I fitted three bolts sticking out the other way to pick up the metro mount. 2 M12's and 1 M10. The M10 needs to be spaced off quite a bit so I used a fully threaded bolt and used extra nyloc nuts to adjust the spacing distance and clamp it to the plate. For the M12's I cut the heads off thin and welded them to the gearbox side of the plate to 1) make them captive and 2) because there isn't much clearance between the plate and the gear box.

The original R65 steady bar is then fine but the way the length works you need to move it along the angled section where it mounts to the tub a bit. I think I was able to use one of the three original holes and drilled two new ones. The steady bar needed a slight bend to clear the driveshaft.

If you study the pic of mine after the gearbox mounting bracket broke at Castle Combe you can see the steady bar bracket - it was a good thing I'd done it that way as the big alloy bracket was the first thing that touched down and it saved anything else dragging along the track!

Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
download/file.php?id=1918

There you go - don't look at the carnage - just the steady bar bracket!

Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:32 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

There's a picture of what I did with steady bars in the topic 'PG1 gearbox mount required' in 'Libra & Spyder'.

Bob.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:53 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Ta for the info Sanz.

Already robbed that pic for future ref ta Bob. :D

FYI my bar has failed at the front end, the tube has fatigued/rusted until it broke - by the look of it. Also the flat plate that goes under the car you can see where the metal has thinned, presumably also from flexing and the build up of rust flaking off bit by bit. The hollow tube is open at the front, allowing water etc in - not ideal methinks. I'll post pics probably.
This after 16 years of year round use - check your steady bars chaps!

I intend to use the rear end bush metalwork and original sump bracket which are still ok. I've removed the old rubber & metal crush tube out of the bush and will redo this with some polyurethane rubber shore A60. The tube I might use a bit of stainless instead, with threaded ends going into the old bush housing. The front I am thinking of making some sort of flexible joint fixed to a (similar to the original shape) stainless plate.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:52 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Pics

Attachment:
Engine Steady fail (1).JPG
Engine Steady fail (1).JPG [ 112.94 KiB | Viewed 15668 times ]

Attachment:
Engine Steady fail (2).JPG
Engine Steady fail (2).JPG [ 163.07 KiB | Viewed 15668 times ]

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:52 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Whilst you're playing with the polyurethane rubber it's worth filling in any engine mounts you can, it'll make a huge difference

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:01 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Been there done that. :)

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:35 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

New steady bar made up, mostly out of stainless steel. For rear joint, made top hat poly bushes using shore A60 polyurethane, retained original steel outer and crush tube. Front joint is a solid rubber 'rose joint' type off a VW #131415813E with the ball joint cut off.

Attachment:
Steady arm new (6).JPG
Steady arm new (6).JPG [ 189.65 KiB | Viewed 15488 times ]

Attachment:
Steady arm new (3).JPG
Steady arm new (3).JPG [ 173.86 KiB | Viewed 15488 times ]

Attachment:
Steady arm new (5).JPG
Steady arm new (5).JPG [ 103.66 KiB | Viewed 15488 times ]

Has now been fitted to car and looks/feels ok. Not run engine or driven it yet.

While doing this job found the rosejoint of the static rod of the gearchange to be worn so have replaced with stainless PTFE version #SPHS8EC.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:22 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Looks good, are you going to beef up the mount that attaches to the sump as well? I understand that they are prone to bending - I know mine certainly has :roll:

Nice slippers :wink:

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
The Vw joint is interesting, got me thinking for an idea.

Is it easy for you to take a quick measurement, I wonder what the OD of the housing is and what size bolt fits the center?

Cheers
Neil

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:03 pm
On the Road

I reused the original GTM four bolt mount plate/long bolt that goes on the sump, as they were perfectly fine, not bent at all. (slippers not mine :D )

WEST - the 'head' dia of the VW part is about 36mm, the through bolt is a 10mm and the crush tube it goes through's length is about 24mm. The threaded end is a M14x1.5 Left hand. Ebay item # 222036129258 was about £11. Use threaded inserts ebay # 171302211775 to fix it inside the tube.

I used the VW part cos I wanted a simple robust rubber bushed type (rather than eg. a rose joint) at the front end to allow for any movement there as its quite clear the old steady bar was flexing slightly at that end. The VW part was the best I could find of the right sort of thing in the right size and was cheapish.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Thanks for the info.

So close but not quite the right size for one of the jobs I was thinking of but still useful info for making steady bars and the like.

Neil

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:23 pm