It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

Thread size 
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Thread size
Hi All,
This is my first post on your very useful site.
I'm in the process of converting my Midas Gold Convertible from K-series SPI to multipoint - once I have this running the next step is a 1.6 or 1.8 engine swop.
I have all the bits for the MPI conversion including an Emerald M3 and a bespoke loom which was made for a GTI Metro 1.8 conversion - it's not a direct swop onto the Midas as it's loom is a combination of MG Metro and Rover Metro but nothing that can't be sorted.
Anyway, started offering up the manifold and associated pipework and the first snag is that the existing fuel feed pipe to the SPI injector has a male fitting at the fuel filter end, whereas the new MPI feed pipe has a female fitting.
I'm not keen on cutting and joining high pressure fuel pipe without the proper crimping machine so would like to get hold of a female/female adaptor, which brings me to my query............does anyone know the size/type of the thread in the filter? It looks the same as the thread in the MPI fuel pipe.

Thanks in advance.
Martin

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Thread size
Hi - I'm unable to answer your question but one other thing to bear in mind with a spi to mpi conversion is the fuel pump. The one that came in the tank on an spi is (or so I'm told) too feeble for a multipoint set up so might need beefing up...

Good luck with the other issue, although I think you should be okay with jubilee clips on the fuel pipe as long as there is a bead on the pipe so it can't slip off under pressure.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Thanks for the reply.

You are quite right in that the SPI pump is rated at approx. 1.5 bar whereas the MPI version fitted to the Metro GTI was rated at 3 bar.

Apparently, in Mini and Metro land some people have done 1.8 mpi conversions running successfully on the old SPI pump but I would be concerned that the mixture would be too lean at high revs if the pump could not keep up, which could all end in tears (I already have one engine sat in the garage with a holed piston).
Consequently, I've got an MPI pump to replace the SPI version, although fitting it will involve removing the subframe to get the tank out, which I don't relish (or a big access hole cut in the boot floor......).

I must get a pressure gauge on the fuel line and see what the current pump is generating.........

Just in case I can't get hold of an adaptor I've ordered a couple of barbed fuel hose connectors and, as you say, with some decent clips it should be OK (I'm a bit paranoid about fuel leaks after having a Vitesse burnt out years ago!)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I'm running 3 bar fuel pressure on my UVA with Megasquirt controlled efi and my flexible fuel hoses are attached to the metal fittings using the proper type of fuel hose clips. There hasn't been a problem so far.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:03 am